Thread: Universal laser 9.3 micron CO2

Universal laser 9.3 micron CO2

I was just looking at Universals website and I see they now offer CO2 lasers with a 9.3 micron wave length along with the regular 10.6 CO2 and the 1.06 fiber/yag. What can be done with the 9.3 wavelenght that can't be done with the other two or what does it do better than the regular 10.6?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

According to the laser tube manufacturer Synrad: "The 9.3µm series is useful for processing materials that are highly absorptive of this wavelength, such as Kapton, PET, and others." Sounds like a bit more of an industrial purpose for specific production materials.
    Technology Officer @ Simon's Stamps, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 105W
    Trotec Speedy II 100W

Xenetech XOT 1313

The 9.3 um wavelength is preferred for circuit board drilling, flex circuits use Kapton as the substrate. High speed drilling machines made by Hitachi use this wavelength to drill several hundred holes per second.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Blog Entries
    Can't really add anything beyond what has already been posted... many plastics absorb this frequency better than 10.6, so you get an apparent increase in laser power for the same wattage of cartridge.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Seems like an odd system. If you want to use the fiber, you have to pull the laser and put the CO2 cartridge in. Finished with that, pull that and put the fiber back in. Seems like a lot of swapping to be done in the lifespan of the laser.

Seems like other people's have both built into the machine and you can use either without having to swap anything.

I'm sure they have a reason for it, but it looks like a lot of switching to do, over time.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

The 9.3um is still a CO2 cartridge... fiber is typically 1um and thereabouts.

EDIT: Oh, I see you're talking about the overall system... yeah, I don't know how it's done. I'm looking into it, though, for the Trotecs...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Steve,

The 9.3um is still a CO2 cartridge... fiber is typically 1um and thereabouts.

EDIT: Oh, I see you're talking about the overall system... yeah, I don't know how it's done. I'm looking into it, though, for the Trotecs...
    Yeah, they have a video on their site, showing the guy constantly swapping out the tubes, even on the same job. One tube engraved it, then one tube cut it. Seems really odd, but I'd have to see it in person to understand the work flow better.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I cant find the Video or any mention of it on www.ulsinc.com !
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

http://www dot ulsinc.com/products/features/multi-wavelength/

It looks like synrad also makes a 10.3 nm co2 cartridge as well but not through universal. I assume it is also for a specialty market.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Cheers Joe, found it! That look like a lot of work swapping units over, good chance of dropping one, that would be an expensive day! I'm not a fan of the flexx but it looks to be way better than this method. Some clever physicist needs to develop a pulsed laser with programmable frequency so one laser will do everything! That would be a cool bit of kit
    L Squared Lasers UK
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Some clever physicist needs to develop a pulsed laser with programmable frequency so one laser will do everything! That would be a cool bit of kit
    I'll get right on it. You're offering to fund the R&D, right?
    Center for Experimental Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics - University of Washington
    Kern 400W 4'x8' HSE with metal cutting add-on and rotary stage
    2-axis CNC mill, 2 manual mills, 3 lathes, other standard shop tools, . . . and a 7.5 MeV tandem Van de Graaff particle accelerator

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Turner (physics) View Post
    I'll get right on it. You're offering to fund the R&D, right?
    Maybe, but I don't laws of physics, I play by my own rules
    L Squared Lasers UK
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2