Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice "RETIREMENT" project!!!

Nice "RETIREMENT" project!!!

As some of may know I retired in February of this year and was excited that now I can spend some time in the shop. Well, right before after I retired I was contacted by a company that I had done some pens for last year, 100 pens, and they wanted to know if I could make some more pens for them. I said sure, when did they need them and how many were they talking about. They told me they would get back with me in a couple of days. Well a couple of days later I get an e-mail with the details, they wanted another 100 pens with their name engraved on them. About five minutes later I get another e-mail telling me they made a mistake in the previous e-mail, that they wanted 1000 pens and they wanted them for November. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded, I could not believe my luck. This was a "THE" pen order of a lifetime in my opinion. Well, when it was all said and done, the order grew to 1500 pens with their name engraved on them. I just completed the last of the pens last week and got them all assembled, put in velvet pen sleeves and boxed up to be delivered to the company. I want to give a big "THANKS" to Ernie at Bear Tooth Woods for his help and support in this project, I don't think I could have got it done without him. He went way above what he need to do to make this order possible.

I have included what 1500 pens look like, sorry for the quality of the pictures, it's hard to photograph that many pens.

As a side note, I got a call from the company about the possibility of another pen order!!!!

Bobby
    Louisiana
    Attached Images Attached Images

And I have trouble making four of anything!! Congrats!

Blog Entries
    PLEASE tell me you did this with some sort of duplicator attachment (or CNC)... After 100 done manually, I think I would shoot myself.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Bobby; That is indeed a fantastic pen order and you did a fantastic job completing that many pens. I think I am with Dan on the 100 then get bored... nice job, they look great. Peter F.

Like John, I have trouble doing much of anything repetitive, but you have done an amazing feat. Way to go and congrats on the order, along with your ability to complete it!

Very cool. Did you use a duplicator?
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Largest order I ever had was 30 and he supplied the cherry he wanted them made from. I was glad when it was done I can't even imagine 1500 the same.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

I've done 100 twice, contemplated jumping off a cliff after each, but 1500 is crazy!!! Well done Bobby and your are right on about Ernie...that brutha rocks!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Hope it's not misspelled
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

And I though you "retired" in February. I guess you have a new career. Congrats on the great order.
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

how many boxes did you need ? 12 dozen per box =10.41 boxes , I would get confuse if I try to count the boxes

That is amazing. My biggest order has been 50 and I thought I would go crazy. Can't image doing 1500. I think it's time for that retirement vacation.

That's amazing. Congrats

14. I just got to ask, how much did you charge per pen?

Amazing is about all I can say.