Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley

Lee Valley

Is there a pattern to Lee Valley free shipping? I wanted to get a PMV-11 blade and chip breaker for my #607, but they are back ordered until 9-21. I thought about waiting until there was another free shipping event. They will be at WIA Cincinnati October 18-20. To drive there is more than shipping but I always see something new from vendors and there are a lot of handtools. I did do a thread search but did not see the data anywhere. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 08-07-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Not sure there is any pattern, would like to know myself as there are several small items I would like to buy from them.

The pattern goes like this:

You make an order. You pay shipping, you get your order, you're happy.

Next week, Lee Valley sends out an email notifying you that there's free shipping. You're not happy.

This year, I've lucked out and they happen about a week after I get a gift certificate from someone. Which is better than a year or two ago, where it seemed like they waited a week or two after I ordered something to announce one. If someone wants to send me a gift certificate so we can test this theory, I'm all for it, though.

I don't know if there's apt to be one terribly soon - it seems like they had one recently, and it seems like they happen maybe twice a year? I bet searching the forum archives could be helpful, seems like we have a silly thread every time one happens!

I let it kick me into ordering sometimes, but I don't usually hold up a purchase for it - the most you save outside of heavy items is something like 13 bucks, I think. Not enough to keep my greedy hands from getting something shiny and new!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Last month it was literally ten minutes after signing for a LV order that I received the free shipping email.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

Next week, Lee Valley sends out an email notifying you that there's free shipping. You're not happy.
    You forgot the alternative.

You anxiously await until free shipping comes along to buy that tool you've been wanting and saving for, for oh so long.

Free shipping comes along, you buy the tool, you're happy.

Free shipping ends, and then a really cool even better tool comes out that you wish you had gotten instead. You're less happy with your new tool.

You start saving again in anticipation of the next free shipping event.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-06-2013 at 2:46 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post

this has been my experience. i don't wait

It seems they usually have free shipping in mid-July (summer solstice), which just passed and a week or less before Xmas (aka winter solstice) for those of us who can procrastinate... Not sure if they do the same for the equinoxes.

Now if you want free shipping, then Rockler is your place b/c they're quite the opposite from LV wrt free shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    Is there a pattern to Lee Valley free shipping? I wanted to get a PM-11 blade and chip breaker for my #607, but they are back ordered until 9-21. I thought about waiting until there was another free shipping event. They will be at WIA Cincinnati October 18-20. To drive there is more than shipping but I always see something new from vendors and there are a lot of handtools. I did do a thread search but did not see the data anywhere. JIm
    Eh, just wait unless the current blade is kaput.

Just my thoughts.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I feel like one year they had the free shipping after Christmas - which was a boon to those of us who just ask for gift certificates.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Oh I will never wear it out. I am sad now cause I just realized that Rob Lee has got us. I think gleaning comments from this thread could be the basis of, "Tool Fanatics Syndrome" textbook. Jim

Blog Entries
    It may be that they wait until everyone has a full shopping cart and then use the free shipping to get people off the fence.

Last time my order was for something that was out of stock. It was ordered during a free shipping event and then shipped when it was in stock with the free shipping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If I remember correctly, they have 4 per year. One towards the end of March. One in July. One at the end of September. And one right after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wadstrup View Post
    If I remember correctly, they have 4 per year. One towards the end of March. One in July. One at the end of September. And one right after Christmas.

This is what I remember as well.
    -Dan

good information David and Dan. Since my item is back ordered until Sept. 21 I may as well wait. I have that plane working very sweet now. I just was so impress when I used the PMV-11 in my bevel-up smoother. The change really made an improvement in the Curly Maple I was working at the time. Jim
    Last edited by Jim Stewart; 08-07-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Historically, once a quarter. I use their wishlist feature for all those pesky little items that aren't worth paying shipping on and dump the list when the free shipping offer comes along.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler