Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DP wiring help request.

DP wiring help request.

I bought this old DP at an auction, and being a little electrically challenged need help in determining if this is currently wired for 110 or 220. I have recepts for both voltages with my PM66 wired for 220. Any help is appreciated. DSC_0003-001.jpgDSC_0009-001.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

125 views and no replies yet. Do I need to provide more info and/or better pics? Is the is the wrong forum? Little help please?

i'm no expert for sure, but i'm inclined to say 120v - assuming thats the left wiring diagram and the right is 220v. basing his mainly on the fact that you've got multiple wires at each terminal, and it appears that the 220 diagram shows one terminal with multiple wires and one with only one wire. but definitely don't take my word for it, i'm sure theres someone else with more knowledge.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Pictures are fuzzy and can't make out the 110/220 side (which is which) on the motor tag. It would also help if you orient the pictures properly to make the tag easier to read.

Blog Entries
    I would say it's hooked up per the left side wiring diagram on the nameplate of the motor. I can't read the voltages for the diagrams on the nameplate.

PHM

look at the rockwell motor , I believe that the tag say dual voltage

look at the motor tag , I believe that it said dual voltage
    Last edited by ray hampton; 08-17-2013 at 9:47 PM. Reason: repeat post

No matter how it's wired, it will run on 120. If it bogs down drilling a 1/2" hole, or with a hole saw mounted, then it's wired for 240.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    look at the rockwell motor , I believe that the tag say dual voltage
    Yes that's what it says Ray. It says single phase dual voltage. Now I need to know if the red and white line that was hard wired before I bought it is to be hooked to 220? Will I burn the windings if I hook to 110 like Myk suggested and it's 220?

Phil, sorry about the poor pics, my first attempt here to post pics. The voltage boxes on the tag are both blank. By dual voltage does this mean that this motor uses both 110 and 220 at the same time or that I have the option of using either 110 or 220?

You have the option, depending on how it's wired.
    If it's wired for 120, 240 will burn it up.
    If it's wired for 240, 120 will not burn it up.
    What type of plug is on the cable?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Phil, sorry about the poor pics, my first attempt here to post pics. The voltage boxes on the tag are both blank. By dual voltage does this mean that this motor uses both 110 and 220 at the same time or that I have the option of using either 110 or 220?
    It would be one, or the other.

I do agree w/ the others that it is probably wired for 110. It sort of looks like yellow and blue are combined, but I'm not positive that is blue, hard to tell by the photo. I know it isn't red, though, because I can see red on another lug. So as long as the left-side wiring diagram is 110v, then I'd say 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You have the option, depending on how it's wired.
    If it's wired for 120, 240 will burn it up.
    If it's wired for 240, 120 will not burn it up.
    What type of plug is on the cable?
    Myk,
    This came from the Detroit Public School System and was hardwired, so no plug. The pic of a single red and single white wire was what was in the flexible conduit for the power source. This afternoon, I'm going to try your suggestion to hook it up to 110 and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    It would be one, or the other.

I do agree w/ the others that it is probably wired for 110. It sort of looks like yellow and blue are combined, but I'm not positive that is blue, hard to tell by the photo. I know it isn't red, though, because I can see red on another lug. So as long as the left-side wiring diagram is 110v, then I'd say 110.
    To throw this out there, Looking at the motor with the bottom of the photo being the left side, the left side lug[the one with the empty lug directly below it has :black, yellow,and white wires. The right side lug has: black, red and green. Doesn't look like a blue one is in the mix. Any way, thanks all for the input.

Blog Entries
    Are the termination points on the motor marked 1 thru 4 like it shows on the nameplate?

They should be and if they are it should be easy enough to determine if the motor is currently wired for 120 volts or 220 volts.

PHM