Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New DeWalt Screwdriver

New DeWalt Screwdriver

Anyone seen the new Gyro screwdriver?

Might have to get one of them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYpjW...te+Screwdriver

Looks like more of a sales gimmick to me. I think I would rather have an old fashioned variable speed trigger.

John

That is a pretty dramatic video for a cordless screwdriver. I'm not too impressed either.

I'm not sure I'm understanding the speed control? Twisting your wrist which way speeds it up and which way slows it down? Seems to be a little too unconvetional for me.

I've seen bad videos, and this one is right up there with the worst. I didn't get what action changed the speeds until you guys told me. I guess turning your wrist is fine as long as you have the room in the cupboard/cabinet/tight space to do that. I supposed Dewalt would say that's why you can straighten the handle. It seems to me that they had to create a solution to a problem that they created with the weird speed control action.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

6. I have a small Bosch screwdriver, and it has been working fine for me for years now. So unless it takes a dump on me, I'm happy with what I have. Besides, the right angle pivot is at the head on the Bosch, which allows me to get in tighter places.....

A very dramatic video for an 8V screwdriver. I often move the screwdriver to get a better sight line and I'm not sure I would want that to change either the speed or the direction.

It would only make sense that rotating your wrist clockwise would increase speed (drive faster) and counter clockwise would be slower "if" the driver is in forward. Of course you'd hope this would reverse when you flip the switch but as others have said the video basically tells you nothing about the use of the tool.

It looks like for the right applications it could be handy if you "took to it" well. May be hard to retrain all the trigger fingers in the world but it would definitely eliminate some bulk.

I'd get one, but I'm saving up my nickels for one of these:

and after that, omma get one of these:

I'm pretty sure Tony Stark made that video for DeWalt.

I gotta get me one of those Meglinator's!

-Alden

Just looks to me like a solution waiting for a problem. What am I missing?
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

If you really think about it the tool may likely be way ahead of its time. I have often thought of having a driver which would respond to how hard I was pushing on a screw, or especially with my guys, some feature to help with ding dongs who can never seem to keep the bit in direct alignment with the screw. That is the single biggest issue with virtually anyone who has worked with me is their ability to see/know the bit is not on the exact axis of the screw. Its the single larges cause for cam'ing out fasteners. It becomes second nature for some and never enters the radar of others.

I could easily see tools of tomorrow being much more "intuitive". Until youve had it in your hands its hard to say but I can definitely see the day when triggers are not what we conventionally think of today.

I wonder why the word "gimmick" keeps running through my mind?
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

My Dad's take on screwdrivers...

Dad said:

First there was flat, then phillips, the square and torx...

Next will be...

Round - the harder you push the better it works!

It's called the Thucker Tool. LOL

Gotta Love DAD...

BTW - Loved the coupon; gotta get one of those as well.