Thread: Hollowed Form With Optical Illusion

Hollowed Form With Optical Illusion

I bought this as a maple blank at Turning Southern Style Symposium last September but it looks like cherry to me. Turned it in the manner in the demo "Hollowed Forms the Easy Way" by Mark Gardner at the AAW Symposium. It's 10" high by 4 1/2' wide and the pattern was made using a woodburner and black gesso. Got the lines fairly straight by using a coping saw blade as a straight edge. Finished it with Odie's Oil which I'm not sure if I really like (the jury's still out). Used Krylon Matte Finish to seal it before buffing because the gesso will come off on the buffing wheels and stain the plain wood. Not sure if the photos will show the "optical illusion" effect but when displayed at eye level the cubes appear to change the direction they're coming from as you walk by.
    DSC01802(2).jpgDSC01803(2).jpgDSC01796(2).jpgDSC01800(2).jpgDSC01801(2).jpg
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Nice work, I think I'm seeing some of the illusion.The main thing is I just like the piece.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

that's a neat illusion. I really like it.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

Nice one, Bill. Kind of a different shape, which I like, and I can see the illusion. Very well done!

I have always liked those perspective square things . The big scale on the cylindrical form is a nice take .Sheen and color are appealing too.

Fantastic job on the illusion effect!
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

I like your fishing /turning line..Just bought a new boat(18ft) that goes in the water today. Can't wait to get that new yamaha cranked up! Keep your line in the water & your lathe rust free & ready.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

VERY nice. Can you explain how you did the texturing around the lid?

That is really nice!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Bill, good work, like your pyro effect, if that turned like cherry, but is much lighter, .....it could be bradford pear, anyway you look at it, nice piece....thanks for sharing

that grain is very tight, maybe mahongany?
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 08-08-2013 at 4:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nesmith View Post
    VERY nice. Can you explain how you did the texturing around the lid?
    Actually it's not a lid, the piece is a hollowed form. The texturing was done with a Dremel tool with a small cone shapped stone pushing it vertically into the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I like your fishing /turning line..Just bought a new boat(18ft) that goes in the water today. Can't wait to get that new yamaha cranked up! Keep your line in the water & your lathe rust free & ready.

Michelle,
    The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb Michelle, if this is also true for women, you choose the right outboard. Those Yammies go on forever!