Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a 3520A or B Powermatic?

Is this a 3520A or B Powermatic?

Its got a caster setup, tailstock swivel, and some toolrests. They want $2800, but I'm not for sure if its the A or B, and if its the A version if that knocks down its value. Also the motor stamp date is 2003, not sure how much that plays in it too. Its either this, or Im going to buy a new Jet 1642 2hp for around $2300

00W0W_4JiqSQZtha_600x450.jpg00M0M_fZwgUCL7M9C_600x450.jpg00j0j_a9WwTDiaU1B_600x450.jpg
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

2. The tag says 3520A. I don't own a 3520 nor am I an expert but I thought the main difference was the variable speed drive. I don't think the B's were that much better to discount the A's much. I would think that's a good deal for a nice package.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    Its got a caster setup, tailstock swivel, and some toolrests. They want $2800, but I'm not for sure if its the A or B, and if its the A version if that knocks down its value. Also the motor stamp date is 2003, not sure how much that plays in it too. Its either this, or Im going to buy a new Jet 1642 2hp for around $2300

00W0W_4JiqSQZtha_600x450.jpg00M0M_fZwgUCL7M9C_600x450.jpg00j0j_a9WwTDiaU1B_600x450.jpg

That is the "A" model..........they were mostly manufactured here in the USA......have no digital readout for rmp's and have a headstock indention tha allows you to get in behind a form with a gouge a little easier...........I would choose this if it is in good shape........I saw another A model for about $2500 last week........I think it had the green paint for the powermatic logo on the gold paint, a little older unit I believe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

It an A. No digital read out and the banjo tool rest is not offset. Still a better lathe that the 1642. Everything is overbuilt compared to the Jet. I believe the rpm will go even lower than the B modal. It looks like brand new. It looks like a nice set of wheels under it.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

That's a lot more lathe than the 1642. I'd offer a little less, but would prefer the Powermatic.

I had an A, earlier model than this one, and it was made over seas. This one has the newer banjo, compared to my old one. Speed range was 0 to 1500 on the slow speed range, and 1 to 3,000 on the high speed range. You could dial the speed down to almost 0 while the B model turns off at 50. I needed the lower rpm's to sand out my warped bowls. Excellent lathe. For sure a step up from the Jet 1642.

robo hippy

haha.. i didnt see that "A" on the motor. Thanks Ray.

No digital readout?? BUMMER! I guess I could guess and make notches by the dial?? That seems like a big difference.

That cutout does look neat on the headstock, not sure if the banjo offset would do anything for me.

So do ya think the caster set system would cause vibration? Almost sounded like a negative add on to me.

Yall really think its that much of an upgrade from a 1642 huh? Im still pretty new to turning, and was wondering if getting rid of 7 inches or so on the bed length was gonna hurt me, but I guess thats long enough for most table legs.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

8. Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    haha.. i didnt see that "A" on the motor. Thanks Ray.

No digital readout?? BUMMER! I guess I could guess and make notches by the dial?? That seems like a big difference.

That cutout does look neat on the headstock, not sure if the banjo offset would do anything for me.

So do ya think the caster set system would cause vibration? Almost sounded like a negative add on to me.

Yall really think its that much of an upgrade from a 1642 huh? Im still pretty new to turning, and was wondering if getting rid of 7 inches or so on the bed length was gonna hurt me, but I guess thats long enough for most table legs.
    If it were me........I would definitely go with this over the Jet..........much more lathe for about the same money........although you won't get a warranty because it is a used lathe..........but it looks like it has been well cared for. The casters are a plus!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Adrian, you can add an after market digital tach for $100 or less. Don't let that be your deciding factor.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I would get rid of the casters. Only reason to keep them on is if you are going to roll it out to turn, then roll it back to use the rest of the shop. You can turn 30 inch table legs on it without too much trouble. The '36' on it means how much room there is between the tailstock when on the end, and the headstock when on the other end. This is not how long of a spindle you can turn. Add in a spur drive and a tail center, and that makes it shorter. There was a way to compute speeds by the read out on the back, which was an electrical measure, and not an rpm indicator. I never found a read out to be useful because I learned with out it. You could, with nothing mounted, turn the dial till it comes on, and make a mark with a sharpie on the lathe, turn the know all the way up till the rpm does not go any higher and make a mark there. Divide into 3 of 4 sections and that will get you close (as in 0, 500, 1500 on the low range).

Yes, it is a big step up from the Jet. For sure as in way more mass, and wider base. I know there were 18 inch bed extensions that were available. There may still be some in stock, or the newer ones for the B might fit. Call Jet/PM/WMT (I think that is their name) tool group and they could tell you.

robo hippy

I have a 3520B and I find that I don't really need the RPM readout. It is nice to confirm where you are, but almost all the speed adjustments I make are done by "feel." Do as Robo Hippy suggests to mark your dial, and don't let the lack of a speed readout keep you from getting much more lathe for the money.

Location of the 3520A

If you will tell me where this one is -- I'll help you with the decision -- you'll be buying a jet and I'll be useing a PM3520A!!!

Adrian, Since it has the tailstock pivot attachment that will give you extra length to turn a longer spindle, that is of course if it has a positve enough locking mechanism to keep it stable. I say this because I have never used one, but it is a great lathe and looks to be in barely used condition and like has already been said come in with $100 dollar bills in hand and offer a bit less and see what the seller says.

Good luck and welcome to the realm of the infamous "Turning Vortex"!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Our club has both and most demonstrators want to use the A model.
    Fred

The B model also has a compartment for tools in the tailstock. My RPM readout and button lock both fell off 2 years ago And I miss neither. The best Rpm gauge is your pucker string.