Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a 3520A or B Powermatic?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I find that I don't really need the RPM readout. It is nice to confirm where you are, but almost all the speed adjustments I make are done by "feel."
    Agreed. I thought I would miss having one when I picked up my Robust, but I do it all by what feels good for the stock on the spindle.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I like having the read out. Granted, I pretty much turn as fast as the piece will let me, but it is still nice to have as a reference.

Funny, I NOW know what people mean by "I just set the speed by feel". But I think there is a learning curve, and until you know what to feel for, the digital read out is for just that. Now, Robust probably assumes that turners that get one of their lathes already have and know the "feel" thing...that would be my guess as to why they don't include them.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Which is a better deal 2900 w/ casters, tailstock swivel, tool rests, chuck, or 2000 just the lathe?
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Just me but I would do the $2000 deal. Like said before unless you have to move around you don't need the casters, just something else to vibrate. You look like a strong young guy so taking the tail stock on and off is no big deal. I don't really remove mine that much anyway.

"You know you are a woodturner when you have a hole in your elbow from forgetting to move the tailstock!" unknown.......

robo hippy

I picked up an A on Craigslist 3 years ago that is two months older. Have had zero issues with it and it certainly looks like it has seen a lot more use. Just the lathe for 2000 looks like the better deal.
    Whether it is worth the extra 900 would depend on how many chucks and what kind of extra tool rests it comes with. The tailstock manager looks like a Down-n-Out available from JT tools for 289. A Lift-Lock-n-Roll is available from Packard for 328 that looks more convenient than what your pictures show.

Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up settling at $2200 for lathe, casters, tail stock swing, Cole saw set, live center and extra tool rest, rockler tool holder, and he had a tachometer to check the rpms that he gave me as well

Can't wait to use it!
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Let me be the first to congratulate you on a great deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Anguiano View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone. We ended up settling at $2200 for lathe, casters, tail stock swing, Cole saw set, live center and extra tool rest, rockler tool holder, and he had a tachometer to check the rpms that he gave me as well
    Nicely done... I think you'll be quite happy with the extra size/power.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That tail stock swing away unit is made by Robust. I have one and love it. If you are going to turn bowls with the head stock slid down to the end of the lathe so that you can work facing the bowl opening, then a tail stock swing away will become almost indispensable. I think I paid over $300 for mine. Throw in some tool rests at $50 a copy and a chuck at $150 - $300 plus jaws and you are paying a hefty price for the casters which may or may not be a benefit.

Good deal, good lathe. Lots of good times ahead! Enjoy it Adrian.

Good wheeling and dealing! Hearty congratulations to you Sir. Quite possibly the last time you will ever need to buy a lathe (not that any of us would let that stop us... ).

Adrian, I have a 1642 and if I was in your shoes I'd jump on that. Since it is out of warranty and the older model offer a couple hundred less. Worst they can say is no. Cash talks.

As for the accessories, I would be inclined to get them, but you don't say what they are specifically. Maybe offer $2600 or 2700 for everything and see if they bite. The casters would be helpful getting it in place and if you decide to move it, you can. Once in place, sell them. Someone will buy them, and you recoup some funds. If it is a high quality chuck, that is at least a couple hundred $, maybe more, especially with multiple jaw sets. Tool rests are nice to have extras, but again, what brand? Prices vary considerably. The tailstock swing away is handy, and that tailstock is heavy. It also gives you a little bed extension should that ever be needed. The swing away is a few hundred extra too. Add up the extras and discount appropriately for used condition and figure out if they are worth the extra.