Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LN miter plane

LN miter plane

Anyone here have one? Was pondering a purchase and wondered what owners thought, good/bad. In the past Ive owned a Spiers version and really liked it...a lot. LN seems to be pushing the Stanley 51 remake or at least they say demand for it is more than the miter plane. Seems to me the miter plane is more versitile. Any input would be apprecaited.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

I have one. I like it very much.

Don't own either, but when I used them both at a show I preferred the no. 9. Both are lovely... very very nice to use. I guess the 9 just felt more like what I'm used to though, just felt more natural to me. ...I may be odd though. The fact that it can be used on either side would be an appeal to me also.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-08-2013 at 4:30 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I have one and it is one of my favorite planes. I use it for general planing duties about as much as I use it for shooting. An excellent plane.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Had one - sold it.

When I want to shoot anything Gnarly I use my LN 62.
    The "hot dog" accessory fits that, as well.

The LN 9 is a nearly perfect plane for a single purpose.
    I can't justify keeping something like that in my shop.

Blog Entries
    For me the choice at the time was between the LN #9 or the #62. My choice was for the #62 and there have been no regrets.

The #51 seems like a great plane but limited in use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the #51 and love it. Recently doing some veneer inlay, I also found it useful for trimming pieces to size as well as jointing short bits of it. It's a luxury for sure, but it's something I'm glad to have. Before it, I used a low angle jack and if I had not have got the #51 I would have added a hot dog to it.

Works as advertised. I love it.

Scott in Montana

You could also wait a month and look at the new Veritas shooting plane.

P1050473.JPG

From Fine Woodworking

"the handle (tote) pivots to to allow you to use the plane face down for other trimming jobs. Also the bed is skewed 20 degrees for shearing action but the blade is a standard Veritas low-angle model."

If you cost in a spare blade, shipping and any special tools that are required, the LN #51 is 63% more expensive and less versatile.

Just something to think about.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Thanks for the input esp on the #62, hadnt considered that one.

For those who own the miter plane are you using a hotdog or side knob? The std setup now is the hotdog but in the past it was drilled/tapped for a side knob. Was thinking the knob looked a lot more comfortable.
    Last edited by jim goddard; 08-09-2013 at 7:49 AM.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

Quote Originally Posted by jim goddard View Post
    Anyone here have one? Was pondering a purchase and wondered what owners thought, good/bad. In the past Ive owned a Spiers version and really liked it...a lot. LN seems to be pushing the Stanley 51 remake or at least they say demand for it is more than the miter plane. Seems to me the miter plane is more versitile. Any input would be apprecaited.
    Hi Jim

I have done a little work in this area.

Here is a review of the LN #51 (compared with the Stanley #51): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

And a comparison of the LN #51, LN #9, and LV LAJ on both flat and ramped shooting boards: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html

If you hang around a short while, I will have a review of the new Veritas/LV shooting plane shortly, hopefully this coming week.

Hotdogs are available here: (by hand) http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...LV%20LAJ1.html

... and here (with machine): http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ck%20pics.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jim goddard View Post
    Thanks for the input esp on the #62, hadnt considered that one.

For those who own the miter plane are you using a hotdog or side knob? The std setup now is the hotdog but in the past it was drilled/tapped for a side knob. Was thinking the knob looked a lot more comfortable.
    Mine has the hot dog and I do use it for shooting. I tend to just leave it installed even when using the plane for other duties. Just easier that way. The 51 looks nice but I could never justify that much money for a single purpose tool when I have others that will do the job just as well.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Mine has the hot dog and I do use it for shooting. I tend to just leave it installed even when using the plane for other duties. Just easier that way. The 51 looks nice but I could never justify that much money for a single purpose tool when I have others that will do the job just as well.
    Hi Zach

I'm curious - other than shooting, what other use do you put your #9 to? I would consider this plane as much a single purpose tool as the #51, that is, a shooting plane first-and-foremost.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek,

The #9 works very well on face grain and long grain, as well as end grain. It is quite comfortable to wield despite its weight. I also sometimes treat it as a coopers jointer, clamping it in my leg vise (removing the hot dog first) and freehanding pieces over the blade to establish bevels. I remember reading somewhere that Wayne Anderson liked doing that. I tried it and it works very well. In my shop, it is far from a being only a shooting plane.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 08-09-2013 at 9:29 AM.

Hi Zach

I think you're making that up Zach

Where the #9 scores over a #51 is that it may be used left-and right on a shooting board. Other than that, it has little other use - too short for a cooper's plane - I would rather use a jointer for that. Indeed, I have built a cooper's plane ....

As far as face grain goes, why not just use a #4 or some other smoother, which no doubt you do own ..?

No, the #9 is just a shooter. Nice plane, nonetheless, and anyone would be proud to own one.

Regards from Perth

Derek