Thread: Using some different stains

Using some different stains

I've been trying something different with some stain samples I was given. The stains I'm using are a collection of samples of concrete stains. They are water based.

The wood is maple for the bowl and the other "thing" is cherry. Both pieces of wood had character flaws so I just tried to salvage them the best I could and if they flew apart or went to pieces I didn't expect to be too upset about it.

The bowl is finished with WOP, not my favorite finish and the "thing" was sprayed with lacquer.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the concept and will continue to improve the process/technique because I think it has potential.

Please feel free to comment or critique.

Dyes.JPGIMG_8732.jpgIMG_8734.jpgIMG_8742.jpgIMG_8745.jpg

I hope you continue your quest..I like the flared rim bowl coloration..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I like what you've done. How did you apply the die? I assume you used a marker to trace the grain lines, then used a Q-Tip or something to apply the die? How did you prevent bleed through from one color to the next?

I like them both, but something about the one where the grain lines border the colors really works well
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Thanks for the comments.

Pat - The dye was applied with a brush. On both pieces I wet the wood, let it dry and sanded off the raised grain. I did a color and moved to another section to give it time to dry a little. All dark lines were done with a pyro tool. Pyro on the bowl was done after the color, the cherry piece lines first then the color.

Eric - The grain on the bowl defined the color sections but the cherry didn't have the same character so it was done free form.

I like the bowl and the way you followed the grain lines. I like your shape on the 'thing'. I have been collecting dyes and have thought of coloring plain unfigured pieces. Some don't like color, it is just another weapon in your arsonal.

Very nice work

I appreciate your creative experiments here. I do enjoy the look of that maple bowl, but I have to say I really like that 'thing'. It has great proportions, to my eye. The flared rim is nice, and the more upright sides of it make a great, visible canvas for your dyes. Thanks for sharing these!

Thanks again for the additional comments. I'm posting another in the series of experiments - "Glorified Dog Bowl"