Thread: Walnut Dresser

Walnut Dresser

Made with loose mortise and tennon joinery using 4/4 material, including the posts. I'm not sure if this is good or bad as opposed to using thicker stock for the corner posts; it did result in a square case that was easy to glue up since I had a front, back, and 2 side panels which connected w/ M&T. Drawers are NK style and ride on an internal web frame. The left side panel and left door are slip matched from 2 boards. Feedback is welcome, particularly in regard to design. Finish is Waterlux on the exterior, shellac on the inside. 55 1/2" H x 36" W x 16 1/2" D. Thanks for looking. -Dave

120 (1280x960).jpg121 (1280x960).jpg125 (1280x960).jpg132 (1280x960).jpg

Very nicely done. I'm, not sure I would have changeups in slipmatch and bookmatch and single boards for different sides, but that is just me, and not really a criticism. Maybe just a function of available wood and using what you have.

Do you use the slots in the drawer sides to put a stop in the cabinet to even up the faces when the drawers are pushed in? Neat trick.

I always like drawers on runners, but like to have a stop mechanism included somewhere so you cant pull the drawer out too far.

I really like those handles. Where did you get them?
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Very nice choice of wood! The front panels are really beautiful. A nice project, well done.

What I don't like are the "machine" made dovetails on the drawers. The craftsmanship of the entire project is affected negatively (in my opinion) by those "clunky" DTails.

So for this project, I would only give you a A--- instead of the A+ it deserves
    MARK

Blog Entries
    Beautiful material. The corner post scale looks fine to me. Nice form and dimensional relationship too. You gotta love walnut. My favorite material to work with.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler