Thread: Too Blue?

Too Blue?

I had heard that box elder was a good wood to dye so this is my first attempt at dyeing a bowl. I applied the dye and when it dried it was very turquoise and almost opaque with very little figure showing through. I wasn't sure what to do but I rubbed in some walnut oil and the blue became much more transparent letting the figure show. I have been getting good reactions from people and it is growing on me now. I guess I like it, for a first try. Not yet signed or buffed but I was taking photos so I did this one too. 4 1/4h x 9 3/4w, 4 or 5 coats of WOP.
    Comments, Criticism, or Helpful Hints appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it fwiw. But I'm prone to like different. To me the important thing is that it pleases you.

Funny, I usually dislike blue for bowls..dunno why.., but this one I like. the color deep enough and the bowl has so many holes & rough edges, that it looks real good to me
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I like this a lot. You did a great job showing off the great grain patterns.
    Be careful when buffing, the wheel might grab an opening and fling the bowl if you are too aggressive.

Not a big fan of coloring wood. But sometimes, it simply works. This is one of those exceptions.
    I drink, therefore I am.

way cool, i have never see blue boxelder, good imagination, it really pops the burl

I am not a fan of bowls with a lot of voids - I probably would have gone for a hollow form which is more of an 'art' piece, but to each his own. I will say the dye job works. With that much figure, losing it initially must have been frustrating. Excellent save on the finish, I look forward to seeing more.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I've turned some crappy boxelder but didn't bother to color it, wish I had now. I like this very much.

Ditto on what Dennis said, easy on the buffing.

Now I'm going to go through my stash and see if I have anymore of that crappy boxelder.

I think the color job is just right, it does a great job of highlighting the burl
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Thanks all for the comments and help. I think I will try another one, but next time I'll mix a weaker solution and put on multiple coats till I get what I like. And maybe it would be smart to try a few sample pieces first too. Sometimes I jump into things without thinking it through.

I think it works beautifully Toby!! Try Yellow next time...it's my favorite!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I like the color Toby. Not sure I would have said that a couple years ago but ones tastes seem to change with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I think it works beautifully Toby!! Try Yellow next time...it's my favorite!!
    Thanks Jim. I have a nice BE Burl hollow form ready to re-turn maybe I will try it in yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    I like the color Toby. Not sure I would have said that a couple years ago but ones tastes seem to change with time.
    Thanks Baxter. I used to always say 'if it's not wood color it's not wood', but the more colored pieces I see the more they appeal to me.

I like it. Works all around for me. Sign it!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!