Thread: "Oh wow" Spalted Pecan for a Pepper Mill

"Oh wow" Spalted Pecan for a Pepper Mill

Hello all,

I haven't posted here for a long while but I just turned a beautiful piece of spalted pecan that thought y'all would like to see. This is just another CrushGrind pepper mill but I feel like I won the wood lottery with this piece wood. The bad part is that's the last piece of that pecan that I have. This mill is for a good friend over in England. The finish is walnut oil followed by Wood Doctor's Pens Plus followed by Wood Doctor's Microcrystalline Wax.

Take care,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is beautiful wood, and a nice pepper mill! Thanks for showing it.

That is beautiful! Can you turn a pepper mill starting with green wood?

Beautiful. I just finished cutting and sealing about a thousand pounds of pecan. If you are anywhere near Jackson, MS, I'd be happy to share. I was storm blow down and was on the ground about a month before I got to it. I left four sections in the round (~22-24" D) to see what mother nature will do with them. Sealed the ends and peeling the bark as it loosens, as a few of the pieces with loose bark had worms under it.

ETA -- re-read and saw that you said you were out of THAT pecan. Offer still stands if you are in this neck of this woods.
    Last edited by Greg A Jones; 08-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Wow is right. That wood is a beauty as is the mill.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great job, and what a joy to find out there is so much beauty inside a piece of wood.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    That is beautiful! Can you turn a pepper mill starting with green wood?
    Thanks, Kevin. This particular piece of pecan was very dry but I usually wait until the wood is less than 20% moisture content (as measured by my pin type meter) before I use it for a mill. I think green wood would move too much after you drilled and turned it and leave the through hole not straight and the top and bottom of the base not parallel (kind of a "Leaning Tower of Pisa" pepper mill ).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Greg A Jones View Post
    Beautiful. I just finished cutting and sealing about a thousand pounds of pecan. If you are anywhere near Jackson, MS, I'd be happy to share.

ETA -- re-read and saw that you said you were out of THAT pecan. Offer still stands if you are in this neck of this woods.
    Thanks very much for the offer, Greg! We're not exactly neighbors but if I ever venture off of my hilltop here in Kentucky and find myself in your neck of the woods I may take you up on your offer. In the meantime, have fun turning your pecan. Spalted or not, pecan is nice wood to turn and always turns out beautiful!

Mike

Thanks for the nice comments folks! What wood looks like when you get it finished is always a surprise and every once in a while you find a really spectacular gem as was the case for this piece of pecan!

Mike