Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best small block plane, your ideas?

This will get the thread removed ... a review of the LV NX60, with a comparison of these four block planes ...

The review is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...lockPlane.html

Bottom line: they all worked extremely well. If that is all you want, then choose the one you prefer, for whatever reason that is important to you. On the other hand, if ergonomics and adjustments are relevant, then look at the LV DX60 and NX60. They really do more.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

The Lie-Nielsen does look like the ugly duckling amongst that lot.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I have several block planes,Stanley,LN,LV. I think both LN and LV are making the finest block planes EVER available. The LV NX 60(polished version) is a marvel of careful machining and beautiful design. I got the PM VII blade for it and am really pleased. My only concern is that I am afraid I'll drop it(concrete floor) because it is slippery to hold when my hands are dry(which is most of the time),but I love it!! I also love my LN 601/2 with adjustable mouth. The body casting is thicker than the old Stanley. Machining is very accurately done.

Being a machinist,too,and designer ,though,I have to give the most accolades to LV in the beautiful design and wonderful precision of their NX 60. My sense of design is very pleased with it,and the VII blade is really great!

Derek's well written review of these planes reminded me of the enjoyable features of the new LV NX60.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-13-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Derek,

Are you ever going to put together that "Compendium of Block Planes"? I think that would be an interesting read.

Its been a while since I read that block plane comparison. It's a good read in its own right. Stuff like ergonomics is tough to communicate. The discussion of the dimples is very good and eye-opening. Reading it really highlighted for me part of why the LABP is comfortable in one hand for me in spite of its girth. Yes i have long fingers, but those 3 dimples really do work well, and it just occurred to me that that is why other block planes feel odd to me now...I'm just soooo used to those dimples. Reading about the shape of the oval dimple in the dx and nx makes me want to try one. I hope LV does a show near me this year so I can play with one [besides the Philadelphia Flower show, they don't bring woodworking tools to that :-(]

(Also, I think the number of block planes and shooting planes you own is bordering on pathological ...though I suppose there are worse addictions to have)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-13-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I have and use both the LN bronze 102 and the LV LABP (as well as some Stanley 110s) but I have really craved either the NX or DX version ever since playing with them at the shows. I believe the original question was "small block." That being the case, there really are only two contenders: the LV apron plane and the LN 102. If small block simply means small plane then read Derek's wrapup and pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I believe the original question was "small block." That being the case, there really are only two contenders: the LV apron plane and the LN 102. If small block simply means small plane then read Derek's wrapup and pick one.
    I beg your pardon...two contenders??? Small options abound

You forgot about smaller...

LN-Violin-Plane.jpg

and smallest...

miniblockplane308980.jpg

(just ignore me...work is boring this week...)
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-13-2013 at 12:31 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Derek,

Are you ever going to put together that "Compendium of Block Planes"? I think that would be an interesting read.

(Also, I think the number of block planes and shooting planes you own is bordering on pathological ...though I suppose there are worse addictions to have)
    Chris, you just HAD to remind me!

My guilt has no boundaries. I will get to the block plans .... one of these days .....

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gentlemen, Let us not forget the E.C. Emmerich offerings in beech and lignum vitae!

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/535-0649/

Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 08-13-2013 at 7:29 PM.

+1 on the LN 102. One of the first planes I bought maybe 10-15 years ago was the LN 102. Its a simple no frills plane, easy to use one handed. If I was an apron wearer it may very well find a home in the pocket of it. Also have a Stanley 103, the 102 higher pitched sister, (that I picked up recently at a flea market, unfortunately only after cleaning the rust off did I discover a crack in the casting IMG_20130813_121409_973.jpgstill usable but for only light work) I have it set just for edge easing. The 18 I like but still find myself reaching for the 102. The 110 is kind of neat (don't really use it, it was hand me down) I do like its bigger knob. Not to hijack the thread but has anyone here successfully grafted a larger block plane knob on to smaller block plane?

Haven't tried any of the planes from LV I'm sure they are awesome. I've had my eyes on that skew rabbit block for the longest time, but would most likely be happier with a skew rabbit from them.

Blog Entries
    Just got back from California so here is my two cents.jpg.

Chris, I do not recall your location. If you are near the Portland, OR area send me a PM if you would like to give my meager selection a workout.

My Stanley #102 is used often. Not as nice as the LN #102.

My Stanley #65 series planes are both very nice to use but a touch on the large size. My two Stanley #60-1/2 sized planes both still see use alongside my LN #60-1/2. The LN is a bit heavier but does work a touch nicer than the Stanley models.

The adjustable mouth is very handy when working rounded stock. With a wide open mouth the blade may dig in on a convex surface and take too big of a bite. Closing the mouth helps to prevent this.

I am confident that the offerings from LV would also make a fine choice.

My conclusion is if you want something just to break a corner, the #102 is a fine choice. If you want to round over a corner or work a large round object a plane with an adjustable mouth may suite your needs better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Block Plane Rap (to the tune of “Bad Boys” from the “Cops” show, sort of!)
    Block Boys, Block Boys,
    Whatcha gonna choose?
    Whatcha gonna use?
    When they cut for you,
    Block Boys, Block Boys!
    Whatcha gonna pick?
    What’ll do the trick?
    When ya shave that stick?
    Block Boys, Block Boys
    Could ya make the shave?
    Would it be your fave?
    You can chase a rabbet
    You can make a bevel,
    But don’t choose too many,
    The slope’s slippery as the Devil!
    Block Boys, Block Boys!

Nice Steve!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post
    Block Boys, Block Boys,
    Whatcha gonna choose?
    Whatcha gonna use?
    When they cut for you,
    Block Boys, Block Boys!
    Whatcha gonna pick?
    What’ll do the trick?
    Block Boys, Block Boys
    Could ya make the shave?
    Would it be your fave?
    You can chase a rabbet
    You can make a bevel,
    Block Boys, Block Boys!
    I actually lol'd reading that.

Well done!
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beadle View Post
    Block Boys, Block Boys,
    Whatcha gonna choose?
    Whatcha gonna use?
    When they cut for you,
    Block Boys, Block Boys!
    Whatcha gonna pick?
    What’ll do the trick?
    Block Boys, Block Boys
    Could ya make the shave?
    Would it be your fave?
    You can chase a rabbet
    You can make a bevel,
    Block Boys, Block Boys!
    I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just got back from California so here is my two cents.jpg.

Chris, I do not recall your location. If you are near the Portland, OR area send me a PM if you would like to give my meager selection a workout.

My Stanley #102 is used often. Not as nice as the LN #102.

My Stanley #65 series planes are both very nice to use but a touch on the large size. My two Stanley #60-1/2 sized planes both still see use alongside my LN #60-1/2. The LN is a bit heavier but does work a touch nicer than the Stanley models.

The adjustable mouth is very handy when working rounded stock. With a wide open mouth the blade may dig in on a convex surface and take too big of a bite. Closing the mouth helps to prevent this.

I am confident that the offerings from LV would also make a fine choice.

My conclusion is if you want something just to break a corner, the #102 is a fine choice. If you want to round over a corner or work a large round object a plane with an adjustable mouth may suite your needs better.

jtk
    I am in Columbus Ohio, Portland would be a bit of a stretch. I am seeing the LN Rabbit plane and the 102/103 twins in my very near future. Will be using them to round corners and touch up all kinds of joinery.