Thread: Natural edge bowls

Natural edge bowls

I helped a friend with some trees that came down from storms earlier this year and got a few trailer loads of wood. These are the first two bowls I have been able to finish so far. They both are about 14" at the widest and about 7" tall. They are finished with Danish oil and I used the Beall buffing system. The light one is Sugar Maple and the other is Cherry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, those are really nice. You did a very good job on both of them. I really like the maple and the figuring that it has. Your thickness appears to be very constant. That is hard to do when turned thin as the wings tend to "fly" a little as you turn them. Thanks for sharing and keep on turnin'.
    Steve

Beautiful NE bowls, you great job with the sanding. I really like the shapes.

Super job. Really like how everything is right. Consistent wall thickness, growth rings centered, and a beautiful lift to the form. You hit a grand slam with both of them.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I find many of the NE bowls unsymmetrical and ungainly..but these two I think you got these balanced very well. You also got nice lift & shape. 3 thumbs up!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Way to gooooo!
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks for the compliments. Attending a demo and workshop by David Ellsworth really influenced the design and quality of these bowls. I tried to put into practice the different things that I learned. The experience has definitely improved my woodturning.
    Last edited by Jim Seyfried; 08-14-2013 at 1:59 PM. Reason: spell check error

I love natural edge bowls and these 2 are very nice. Love the grain in both but like the maple best.