Thread: Keepsake Box

Blog Entries

Keepsake Box

Just got back last night from taking some of our grandkids down to California.

This is a keepsake box that was made for one of our granddaughters:

Keepsake Box For Jenny.jpg

It was actually a bit of a recovered mistake. The only boxes I have made in the past were all open top. Forgot to include the top before gluing this up. The solution was to make a top that lifted off.

It is all alder from the firewood pile. The spalted piece is inlaid into the top that lifts on and off instead of being hinged.

At least she likes it.

Candy, my wife, also loved the spalted piece and seems a touch jealous that it wasn't used on something for her.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Cool! That's nice work Jim. The spalted panel is a cool effect.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Nice project, Jim, and one that I am sure your granddaughter, Jenny, will appreciate long into the future!
    I recognized that the wood was alder before I read the rest of your posting. I like using alder, and I like that it is available locally in abundance. I have used it in some lathe turnings and I find that it turns quite well. I guess I like that it resembles cherry, but is not as hard. I also think that it doesn't have a tendency to "burn" as cherry sometimes does.
    That spalted piece is spectacular! That's like finding a diamond in your firewood pile.
    One question regarding the construction of the lid: since I could not detect any miters in the photo, I am supposing that the frame is cut out of a solid board. Is the top inserted into its frame in rabbets or grooves, as with a convention frame and panel, or is the spalted piece merely inset into a cavity in the lid? Just wondering . . . !
    I hope you keep having fun with the grandkids--not too long until school starts now!

Steve

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words.

One question regarding the construction of the lid: since I could not detect any miters in the photo, I am supposing that the frame is cut out of a solid board. Is the top inserted into its frame in rabbets or grooves, as with a convention frame and panel, or is the spalted piece merely inset into a cavity in the lid? Just wondering . . . !
    The lid is made of a solid piece. It has rabbets all around. The top was mortised (?) with chisel and router plane to inset the spalted piece.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nice Jim.

Nice box, Jim. Love the top.
    Lori K