Thread: salad bowl finish & wood

salad bowl finish & wood

I have a salad bowl to do for someone . What are you feeling on wood types and finishes for the bowl . I have some Elm but it has soft & hard grain in it, will a salad bowl finish fill or seal this ?? I do have some of Mike Mahoneys walnut oil, and pure tong oil with citric solvent.

I have been using the Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil. It has some carnuba in it and I prefer it. Several coats will seal up most woods. What little elm I have turned will soak up a lot of oil. Same with sycamore. Mike's oil is good as well.

robo hippy

Elm is fine to use for a salad bowl, as is Maple, Walnut, Ash, Cherry, and similar woods.

When you say that your Elm has soft and hard grain in it, are you referring to hardwood/softwood? Or that it has soft punky areas? If punky, find another piece to use.

What type of finish to use is a matter of personal preference and a highly subjective subject. I like to use Danish Oil instead of Walnut Oil. I've also used Salad Bowl Finish, but I dillute it 50/50 with Mineral Spirits. The reason for diluting is I want to thin it so that the finish soaks into the wood instead of building up on the surface.

Despite the conspiracy theorists, and there are several here...any finish...once cured, is food safe.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Despite the conspiracy theorists, and there are several here...any finish...once cured, is food safe.
    Agree with Jim - Bob Flexner's book on finishing covers it all.

i have made many elm salad bowls. I also use Drs workshop Walnut oil with the carnuba wax. I don't like film finishes.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have a large salad bowl from beech and used mostly straight walnut oil. I also made an oil and beeswax emulsion and put several coats on to "feed" the wood. Every now and then I just re-oil with the walnut oil which keeps it from drying out and gives it a nice lustre. A film finish doesn't make sense (to me) for a utility bowl. Eventually it is going to look lousy and need to be redone.

I'm with Jake. I use beeswax and mineral oil for a lot of my everyday use items. I would stay away from anything with citrus as there are a some people who are allergic to citrus. The great thing about beeswax and mineral oil is it is really easy for the new owner to apply a coat any time.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Turning catalogs are constantly turning out "new" finishing products with buzzword names chasing our money. There are rarely any new profound finishes invented--just new mixes of old finishing materials. For instance "salad bowl finish" is merely tung oil, mineral spirits and cobalt drier but you can bet it's 5 times more expensive than your own oil/thinner. Also when they fail to reveal the ingredients it is impossible to deal with foulups and climate conditions at your shop.

Thanks you for all your input,got 3 bowls out of elm and sycamore done up so far .