Thread: wide belt sandor conveyor change out?

wide belt sandor conveyor change out?

I purchased a used halsey wide belt sander last week and as suspected the conveyor belt needs to be replaced. I have new one on order. looks like preatty big job. Did some web searching and not really seen much info on it. wondering if anyone knows of good spots to get info, also if anyone whos done this fun job in the past has any tips, tricks or things NOT to do during the changeout.

thanks Eugene

Wow Eugene..

That is a major job.. I would have ordered a zipper belt from Laguna if they still sell them .. Take a bunch of photos of the process and do a blog of sorts here.. Lots of us would be really interested..

I thought about the zipper belt but decided didn't want the metal seam

What Rick said! I priced out a new belt, but given the cost combined with the amount of work....I chickened out and decided to keep running the old one till it falls off I figure it'll be easier to start looking for a newer machine at that point

good luck,
    JeffD

well the new conveyor is on went preatty smooth. I basically ran 2 - 2x4 pieces under the conveyor unbolted from machean and took off the conveyor motor then just lowerewd till was on the wood and slid out. then ran piece of wood under the table from the side and slid off old belt then reveresed the process to put back together.

Any pictures Eugene ?

I know you're done now but Burt at Safety Speed Cut was very helpful in getting my Halsty sander running.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

Ya sander is running and got added benefit, can take stuffwright from sander and take to finish room. Big time savings from the drum sander. I have few pictures but have to find the time to load them from phone tocomputer.
    The only issue hadwith the process is that when ordered the conveyer I ordered new felt and graphitefor the platen. Got the conveyer but notthe other box. Was lost inshipping. Called ups and told me had tocall safety speed and have them take care of it. I ordered new graphite and felt. They said would ship for free but when boxshowed up got hit with charge of $18.54. I should finally get original felt and graphite next Tuesday. Over week on a 1 day standard shipping… kind of not sure if should pick a fight with thecompany over the $18 or in future maybe just not buy from them anymore???? I originally paid $50 forshipping.

Eugene,

I couldn't find a way to send you a message, so I am posting here. I am buying a Halsty 43" wide belt sander, and curious if you still own and use yours? Having fun researching this machine on the internet, and looking forward to making some sawdust with it in my shop soon.

Kelly

still using. just minor repairs as can exspect from 1996 sander that came from cabinet shop..

Great to hear that. Thanks!

Do you have any original documentation on the sander?

when bought i called safety speed and they sent me a manual that was preatty close to my sander.. the few times had issues called them and where helpful.