Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM 5.3 L pickup motor

GM 5.3 L pickup motor

Hope I'm not violating any terms of service or other here. Questions for anyone who has owned or has experience with these engines, please.

I have a long and mostly agreeable history with GM "small-block" V8s, 350 CI and 5.7l. The current pickup, '99 K2500 is getting a little old and tired, and I'm kinda-sorta looking for something newer. Do not intend to throw down the $$ for new. I spotted a possible candidate pickup, equipped with the 5.3 L V8. I use my pickup to tow a 19 ft aluminum fishing boat, probably 3000 - 4000 lb, and an older 23 ft travel trailer, about 4500 lb.

So, two questions:

1. Will the 5.3 handle the load when towing these rigs? (I don't tow for super long distances or at high speeds.)

2. Is the 5.3 as durable as the 5.7?

Advice appreciated!

Regards, Marty
    Last edited by Marty Gulseth; 08-16-2013 at 5:37 PM.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

No problem towing that weight. Can't comment on durability, though. FIL's 4.8 would probably tow those without issue.

Yes to both questions. The 23 foot trailer will probably labor a bit, just like it did with a 5.7L! (Disclaimer you didn't mention if the new pickup is 3/4 ton, 4x4, long bed, etc?)

You also need to consider your gear ratio and trailer tongue weight. If you are towing in elevation, that will also decrease the rated towing capacity.

4,000 lbs for a 19' aluminum fishing boat? That thing must be built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    4,000 lbs for a 19' aluminum fishing boat? That thing must be built like a tank.
    Or Marty is one heckuva fisherman, and that's the weight returning from a good day on the water.

David

Guys....a lot of people who fish the rivers in the Northwest use Jet boats or jet boat hulls which have a considerably thicker hull to withstand the swift waters and rocks in rivers. Often they are powered by car engines gasoline or diesel. I live 110 miles south of Marty. We have quite a number of jet boat manufacturers here in Lewiston, ID and they ship their boats as far a way as Nepal.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You guys are too funny! 3000-4000 lb was an uneducated guess. It's an older Starcraft I bought used, and I'm pretty sure it has a thin aluminum skin over a plywood or other wood frame and hull lining.

And I usually come back lighter than I left the dock. Typically very few fish, much less fuel, and the beer was all...er...shall we say, "recycled" overboard...

Oh, and thanks for the insight on the pickup motors. Just gathering info for now. I tend to not rush on automobile purchases.

Thanks, regards,

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

One thing to look for, the 2014 model will be a new 5.3 engine with direct fuel injection. Probably a great engine, but I am always a little apprehensive about the first year of anything.

I wouldn't hesitate about the weight. One thing I have learned about towing with my tired old 6 cylinder f150- if you don't have enough power, just slow down a little. You don't need to keep up with the Porsche in the next lane. Of course, the new trucks have vastly more power than mine, but the idea is still the same.

Also, avoid the 5.3 motors with the injection system that drops cylinders to save fuel. They are a problem, have no real world advantage and are expensive to repair. A set of injectors for my 08 was 1700 dollars, replaced twice under warranty. I sold the truck as the end of the warranty approached. The regular 5.3 is a known dependable motor.

My new trucks are both Fords, and the non turbo V6 in the 150 is all you would need to haul a small boat, 315 HP, and gets 23mpg highway.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    My new trucks are both Fords, and the non turbo V6 in the 150 is all you would need to haul a small boat, 315 HP, and gets 23mpg highway.

Larry
    I'm looking at that truck also, and that would be my first choice for engine.

Larry,
    That might be a bit optimistic, I believe they're rated at 302hp @6500 rpm. Torque peaks @ 4000 rpm. Seems a bit revy to me although the 6 speed trans should keep it on the boil. I miss the old inline six cylinder engines and feel apples to apples they work much better as a true truck engine. It's a shame the old 300 Ford 6 isn't still around and spec'd out with the modern engineering improvements.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

Larry

I drove a loaded van with a 300-6 in it when I worked for a tile contractor. It really went like crazy given its horsepower quote, but I've heard several places that fuel economy and emissions killed it. That's too bad. People drive their cars like trucks now, anyway, though, revving them hard.

I've got that 300 ci inline 6 in my 1992 f150. It's been OK so far, but only time will tell how well it's going to hold up.

David,
    The Ford 300 six was used until 1996 in the U.S. although newer engineering advances like direct port injection, lightweight casting technology, variable valve timing, 5, 6 and 8 speed transmissions, etc would have gone a long way in helping gas economy, emissions, etc.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I drove a loaded van with a 300-6 in it when I worked for a tile contractor. It really went like crazy given its horsepower quote, but I've heard several places that fuel economy and emissions killed it. That's too bad. People drive their cars like trucks now, anyway, though, revving them hard.