Thread: NIP Vessel

NIP Vessel

Not sure whether to call this a hf or a bowl. It started out as a hf. I had turned the outside and hollowed about 1/3 of the way in when it started getting late. As I was wrapping it in plastic until I could get back to it, I heard 3 loud pops and when I looked at the rim I had 3 cracks , each about 1 1/2" long, spaced pretty equally around the rim. I finished wrapping it up and figured I'd see how it looked when I got back to it. The next day I unwrapped it and the cracks hadn't grown any more, so I just turned the rim down past the cracks, increasing the hole size by about 3".
    I finished hollowing, carved 3 small feet, and then sanded and then gave it several heavy coats of BLO. I didn't turn it thin enough for translucence and didn't have enough BLO on hand for a series of soakings, so just went with the heavy coats, let it dry for a few days and then gave it a good coat of DO. After a few more days of drying I added the 1st coat of Antique oil and it will get several more.
    It's about 9" x 6 1/2".
    PICT0002.JPGPICT0005.JPGPICT0004-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very nice and the shape is pure SW. Easy call---it's a pot.

I'd call it a hollow form and it's looking real nice. the knots, grain and little feet all add up to an attractive piece.

nip here in Texas is about as scarce as hen's teeth, unless, of course you are swimming in that green stuff. Lovely nip pot, by the way. Max

Thanks guys!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice Kathy. I think the term for this form is 'calabash' after the vessels made from the calabash gourd.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).