Thread: delta scroll saw

delta scroll saw

would like any information regarding the quality and performance of a delta model 40-601 scroll saw.

I owned & used one for several years. I never had any problems with it & it worked very well.
    The only reason I sold it was that I found a very nice older Delta 24" scroll saw.

The only thing I liked better on the 40-601 was when doing a lot of internal cutting. The blade change was a lot quicker on the 40-601 than the older 24" saw.

I've never operated a scroll saw but I read many good reviews about 40-601 scroll saw.

Howdy,
    I just got a delta dss 1 scroll saw and am hopping you can tell me what blades i need and where to find a manual.
    Thanks
    Tom

It looks like the speed control can give you a hard time.
    This a cut a paste of a comment left by a woodworking.dot.com member:

RE: Delta Scroll Saw (40-601)

That was absolutely the best scroll we have ever used, it is quiet, smooth, and as near to vibration free as a reciprocating machine can be.

BUT the electronic speed control was a POS as far as reliability; we replaced it twice within ten years.

Here is another one from scrollsawer dot com:

Delta 18"Scroll Saw Model 40-601

Hello, I am a new guy on the block and could use some technical advise concerning my 40-601 Delta Scroll Saw. The saw has age on it but has been used very little.It looks brand new! I used it one time last summer for the first time in 15 years.It worked fine at that time. When I walked into the shop last month I heard a sound coming from the back of the shop. When I went to the back to investigate I found the saw runing very slow. I knew that I had not been using it! I reached down to turn it off but the button was pushed in in the off position. When I pulled the button out the saw stoped. I pushed the button in and the saw started runing again very slowly. I turned the button to change speeds but it would only run slow. The speed indicator would change but the speed would not. I have contacted Delta and their repair stations around the country and they tell me the same story.NO PARTS AVAILABLE FOR THE CONTROL PANEL. CAN NOT BE FIXED! The saw is too good to just throw away! Any advise? Please help.
    Last edited by ken masoumi; 09-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.

I had two of them and they were a good saw back then.. The problem now is there are not many parts available for them. The speed control burns out and there is no replacement for them, plus they cost back then about $380 for the replacement. Also the gears wore out and they needed replaced, about every 6 months of hard use. There are no replacements for them now either. So as I see it you buy it and use it until it quits, then good luck on ever fixing it to run again. Going price I would pay for one now would be tops at $100.
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

I still have mine and so far have not had any problems with it but have heard about the gears and speed controller

Most parts still *seem* to be available, and I recently ordered a new bellow for it - (they took my money for a new bellow but I have not actually received it yet)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/del...505_14015.html

Here is the manual

http://my427sc.com/_MISC/40-601_scroll_saw_manual.pdf
    Last edited by John Huds0n; 09-14-2013 at 1:51 PM.

Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.