Thread: Great Screws - Great Price

Great Screws - Great Price

As we are frequently asking about good affordable screws for our woodworking and cabinet building I thought it worth passing this along. Through September 30 Hafele is having a "essentials for the shop" sale. Their Zip-R screws are very, very good shop screws. Not to be confused with my opinion of GRKs. Those are my favorites but as they are very expensive I don't use them as shop screws (except for the trim heads).

Anyway about the Zip-R screws - a box of 5,000 of the 1-1/4" x 8 will cost you $34.00 compared to the $29.90 for 1000 Spax screws through McFeely's.

Here they are driven through Jatoba with no pre-drill. Though I would not normally do this it is nice to see that I can. These are 2" square drives and I could easily take them out and drive them again. As you can see the head won't seat in the Jatoba without a countersink but it would certainly seat in plywood or soft woods if you'd rather not pre-drill.

Mail Attachment.jpg Mail Attachment copy.jpg

Here is the Hafel link http://www.hafele.com/us/en/external...e/TCH_FC_2013/

Page 11.137 of the catalog. Item numbers 010.22.968 and up depending on square or phillips and/or silver or black.

Don't know if you need to set up an account but well worth it. Hafele has soooo much more than good screws.

This is a recommendation based on my own shop use. I like using the phillips for the 1-1/4" and 2" but the square drive for the 1-1/2" x 2-1/2". A slight inconvenience but I don't mistakenly drive 1-1/2" screws through my work when I should have been using 1-1/4". Another trick/visual aid is to mix the black with the silver according to the drive type.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

That's jatoba?

Thanks for the tip, Sam. I just ran out of long shop screws tonight and was going to call McF's. Will try some of these.
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    That's jatoba?
    Yes sir - though admittedly in bad light on an MDF top - left over from a pair of doors and then a sofa I built. Sorry to incur your doubt. I will do a screw through some hard maple or english elm for anyone who doubts - though I might not get those samples authenticated either.

Just sharing some info on some good screws.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Good info, you do have to have an account to order from Hafele, and they want a business name when you set up the account. But they aren't exactly rigorous with the checks unless you set up a credit account. That sure is a great price on those screws. I'm using Deerwood ultimates, which are essentially the same screw, may actually be the same screw, but my source charges nearly double, and I already have a Hafele account! Looks like I know where to order the next batch.