Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butternut and Walnut Krenov-ish Music Cabinet

Butternut and Walnut Krenov-ish Music Cabinet

Cabinet for music and supplies. The secondary drawer wood is quarter-sawn sycamore. The drawers are fitted with sliding removeable trays. Photos of my practice room show before and after which gives an idea of why I built this. I included some photos of the music stand in another post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful Mark! I really like your cabinet. It is a bit chunky but that is from the perspective of a photo, which can be very deceiving. But in general this piece really is something to be proud of. You must have some time into this one, looks pretty large. The music stand is also beautiful. Next up is a stool of Walnut.

How did you pull that cove off between the cabinet and the stand? I assume a router/shaper? I really like that detail, creates a nice shadow line between the two parts. And the Sycamore is awesome, I am a huge fan of QS Sycamore used as an accent or secondary wood that will be seen from time to time. I personally have never used or worked with the stuff but keep my eyes open for it everywhere I go wood hunting. Still have yet to stumble across some, but I sure would love to!

Outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fantastic work. You have created a masterwork. The pulls, dove tails, and the choice of wood are great. The music stand is great to.

Bill

Excellent work and something to be proud of. Impressive.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Very nice. Great attention to detail and superb execution.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Wow !!!!!!!
    That is a great job done with SOME OF THE BEST DOVETAILS I have seen in a long time !! They are fantastic
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    It is a bit chunky ...
    Hi Tony,

Yes, the proportions make it "a bit chunky", especially if you are used to looking at Krenov display cabinets. This was a conscious design decision dictated by 2 factors. (1) I wanted to be able to easily access all the shelves of the cabinet from my stool, so the base is shorter than would be found on a typical display cabinet. (2) The width was dictated by the size of the music to be stored on the shelves. Hence, shorter and wider than a purely aesthetic proportion.

I think your cabinet is beautiful, and all the more so because it is actually useful. Wonderful mix of hardwoods, skillfully constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ketelsen View Post
    Hi Tony,

Yes, the proportions make it "a bit chunky", especially if you are used to looking at Krenov display cabinets. This was a conscious design decision dictated by 2 factors. (1) I wanted to be able to easily access all the shelves of the cabinet from my stool, so the base is shorter than would be found on a typical display cabinet. (2) The width was dictated by the size of the music to be stored on the shelves. Hence, shorter and wider than a purely aesthetic proportion.
    Although it may be a bit chunky in the Krenovian design sense, it really fits the space and purpose perfectly. It really looks like it stands strong and I like that about it. Again, nice work Mark.

Looks great to me, I too like the cove at the transition and your selection of woods. Now for a matching stool?

Mark very nice work.. Never have had the pleasure to work with sycamore, how is it to work with?

Like the music stand too..
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 08-22-2013 at 7:09 PM.

Amazing! I really like the contract of the two woods. They really go well together.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    ... sycamore, how is it to work with?..
    It works nicely. It has feels crisp or brittle-ish to chisel and plane. It will tear out, so I always slip-match glued-up panels, then no problem planing it to final surface, i.e. no sand paper needed. I like finishing it with water-base and the grain really raises with the first coat. It's pretty stable. When I re-saw it for drawer bottoms it hardly cups at all.

Two newbie technical questions -

Are the drawers bottoms raised panels?
    Do they have any sort of glide beneath, like runners or slips?

Did you also make the music stand? It's a nice looking piece of work in it's own right.
    (*DERP* Just saw your other post.)