Thread: Mesquite Vase

Mesquite Vase

I finished up this little vase tonight. I turned it very thin (1/16" or less) with a thought to doing some piercing but just couldn't envision a pierced pattern that would complement the piece, so I just left it solid.
    It's 6" x 4" with a light coat of DO and a couple coats of Danish oil (more to follow), and it's light as a feather.

Went just a little too thin in one spot!
    PICT0001-003.JPG

PICT0005-002.JPGPICT0006-002.JPGPICT0001-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

That's a beautiful shape and a fine piece of wood. Your work is always a pleasure to look at.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

It is beautiful and doesn't need any piercings.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I agree. The wood and form speaks for itself in this piece. Wise choice to leave it as is. I will say the one thing that kind of bugs me about this piece is the rim being so much bigger than the shoulder. I think the piece would have flowed better if the flared part of the rim was a little smaller. JMHO. Love it, though.

Went just a little too thin in one spot!
    PICT0001-003.JPG

PICT0005-002.JPGPICT0006-002.JPGPICT0001-001.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.[/QUOTE]

Been and done that more times than I care to admit. Mesquite is one species we don't see down under and it looks great, always enjoy seeing your work.
    neil

The wooden Potter

I agree with Dale, the rim overpowers it, at least with looking at it from pictures. Maybe different in person. When I do pieces that have nice color differences in growth rings, I love seeing them flow up and over the top. With the large rim, you loose that effect. Love the low impact finish and the base is really pleasing.