Thread: Woodpeck PRL-V2 Router Lift "Front" Winder

Woodpeck PRL-V2 Router Lift "Front" Winder

When they first came out I bought a PRL-V2 for my Milwaukee 5625-20. Worked great but the thumb wheel adjustment at time wore your thumb out. Then they came out with a "side" winder crank that allowed adjustment using a flex cable from the right or left. It worked well but not perfect in my opinion. After selling my TS that had the router table in the wing I built a new one. With all the storage I wanted I didn't apply the side winder. Once again my coarse adjustments were too far off and my thumb got blisters. So I looked at the set-up and came up with a crude "front" winder. I fastened a 1/4" drive socket to the OEM 1/2" shaft. I can use a ratchet wrench or small Bosch powered drill/driver to raise/lower the router:

Mike

Blog Entries
    Great mod Mike. Thanks for posting it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Somebody, Penn State?, sells one like that.
    I am pretty happy with my sidewinder though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Somebody, Penn State?, sells one like that.
    I am pretty happy with my sidewinder though.
    I think the Jessem has a straight shaft but that too goes out the side. In this case the WP thumb wheel (gear case) centerline is close to the top of the table that it can come out front where it is more convenient and still allows me to retain a front drawer.

Doesn't look like WP offers a sidewinder anymore. Probably too many special applications.

Mike

Mike,
    I've already ran into the fact that I can't get a sidewinder setup so I was going to get a 420. Curious what you added on the thumb wheel end of the threaded rod.Is that brass colored item a homemade adapter to receive the rod and does the shaft spin pretty freely at the angle iron end. I was going to use a flange bearing for all the obvious reasons.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
    Mike,
    I've already ran into the fact that I can't get a sidewinder setup so I was going to get a 420. Curious what you added on the thumb wheel end of the threaded rod.Is that brass colored item a homemade adapter to receive the rod and does the shaft spin pretty freely at the angle iron end. I was going to use a flange bearing for all the obvious reasons.
    Greg
    I bought a 1/2" pipe flange and added a brass adapter that was close to 1/2" on the inside. You can see I really had to hack up the flange because it interfered with the router top. I drilled and tapped 3 holes in the wheel and one in that brass fitting. At the crank end I just applied it like was intended. For the drive end I bought a cheap 1/4" drive 1/2" socket. It was a little loose on the shaft so I put some shim stock in to make an interference fit. Works like a champ!

Mike