Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a portable generator

As others have said, an induction motor has a large start up current. The start up current itself isn't a constant but wants about 6x the full load current for the first cycle or two (1/30 to 1/60 of a sec) and then drops off following a decay curve assuming the power source (generator) can meet the load. Years ago, when I was young and naive (high school_, I worked on a job where the owner flew a "3hp" Craftsman 240V air compressor and 5kw generator into a remote site for some work we were doing using pneumatic nailers. The motor was rated for 10A so the owner assumed the 5kw was plenty. We were dropped off for a week yet the compressor wouldn't start off of the generator.

With the owner being willing to risk burning up the generator or compressor at this point, once we used the tank down to where it was unusable (~60psi) and it still wouldn't start, he fully drained the tank and restarted the unit with the generator throttle overridden on full-bore. The motor started spinning but only reached about 1/2 speed, eventually bringing the air tank up to pressure however by that time the paint on the motor and generator was discoloring from heat. It was a stupid move but it worked albeit putting a tremendous amount of wear on the generator and compressor motor.

The real solution is, as said here, is to try it. It may come down to the mass of the moving parts having enough stored energy to kick the motor up to full speed or it may just work off the bat. If it doesn't you know you need a larger generator.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Since my shop is built and my house is not I didn't have electricity to the site. I am going to use a portable generator so I can run my 3 hp table saw and 3 hp jointer. It has a 30 amp breaker (7000 watts). Are there any problems or things to watch for using a portable generator? I will use #10 wire. I do have 120 15 amp from the neighbor and can run my smaller 1.5 hp jet dust collector.
    ever considered contacting Toro tech support?

Well I finally got a chance to try the generator. The saw started fine, starting amps was 49 and running amps was around 5. The generator is putting out a constant voltage between 238-241. The MM FS35 is also a 3 hp motor. Little bit different here. The first attempt the amp meter read 86 starting amps and it tripped the breaker on the generator. This is the first time I started either of these machines in 3 months. I did two more starts and the jointer started, but the starting amps was 73. Running amps is around 6. I can stage all my wood for joining and do it on one start (spend the day just prepping the wood). My assumption is the 70+starting amps is not ideal on a generator, but it will only need to do this one more time. I don't see a problem with the saw. Are there risks I am not seeing? Any comment appreciated.

Bill