Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tools you bought because you saw Norm Abram use them...

1. Tools you bought because you saw Norm Abram use them...

...and then find out you don't use them nearly as much.
    After 20+ years I'm moving my shop out of the basement to a new shop and while boxing things up and going through drawers/boxes that haven't been opened in years, I've discovered all the 'stuff' Norm made me buy!
    Lamello Dosicol - Looked like good idea, but I guess I don't do enough biscuits to keep it filled with glue - kind of hard to clean out, especially if only gluing a handful of biscuits - I've found it easier to just squirt a little extra glue into the biscuit slot from the glue bottle.
    Toolbelt - Again, nice idea, however I find that the pockets fill with saw dust when routing or using the table saw... it's also pretty damn heavy, I probably have too much stuff in it. Maybe Norm only wears it during final assembly, I never noticed.
    Angle Wright Height Gauge - I keep it in a drawer by the router station, the times when I remember I have this and take the time to get it out, it works great, but the ruler/tape in my hand is often more convenient. Funny, but I when I do use it, it is usually with a dado on the table saw... maybe I should move it to a different drawer.
    Bessey GRZ Super Grip Clamp - They clamp well enough, but getting the pressure just right is a bit fussy, I usually reach for a Bessey KliKlamp which work in a very similar way, but somehow are much easier to use.
    Osborne Miter Gauge - Can't really complain about it, it does exactly what it should, but since I use the table saw primarily for ripping cuts I never use this. I do probably over 90% of the crosscuts on the miter saw.
    Porter-Cable Speed-Bloc Sander - No dust collection, need I say more? I don't think I've ever loaded sandpaper on it.
    Porter-Cable Corner Chisel - Neat little tool, but unless you're routing a ton a hinges with square corners, this gets buried in the bottom of the drawer and forgotten. Still in package, tells you how little I've used it! Actually, I somehow managed to end up with two of them.
    Whiteside Router Inlay Set - Norm used it to make 'patches' to cover bad spots in some reclaimed wood he was using - seemed like a handy item at the time, never used it, then again, I don't find myself very often using reclaimed wood either.
    Jevons Tool 3D Square - Once again, I think if I remembered I had these I may reach for them more often. Norm seemed to like them, maybe we're just doing different kinds of projects, because I can't think of the last time I used them.
    Join me next time when we discuss Norm's jigs/fixtures I've made that never used.
    Please don't think I'm bashing Norm for one second... after all, who else do you know that has their very own "The New Yankee Workshop" sign?
    And just to end on a positive note... the most useful thing I bought because I saw Norm use it (and I probably wouldn't have found it on my own otherwise) is the Jack Rabbit Driver - if you have never tried it, I suggest you do. Norm used it all the time in the NYW and it truly is a great way to drill/drive screws.
    [indent]
    Last edited by Tony Haukap; 08-25-2013 at 9:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Why doesn't my text format correctly? I had to use the
    Code:
    [/indent][indent]
    to get it to be somewhat readable... otherwise it all ran together!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have purchased absolutely nothing because Norm used it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I could not watch Norm wearing his carpenter tool apron in the shop. Just me? All well and good for a house carpenter but in a cabinet shop?

As for the tools - he was paid to play and so a lot of these tools were hyped hard and product placed. Though in the day that little 4-1/2" worm drive panel/trim saw was the best. It was used in my shop for lots and lots of plywood work including curved cutting for templates on boats. Still can do the job but has been surpassed by track saws and better technology jig saws.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Probably the tool I use least that I saw Norm use is my biscuit joiner...except mine is a DeWalt instead of a Lamello. I use my Osbourne miter jig all the time and the router inlay kit is handy. I'd never wear a tool belt in the woodshop unless I wanted to collect sawdust...I don't. The price of the Angle Wright Height Gauge was too much for me. I use a 6" tri-square instead. You have to realize that 1. Norm got offers from a multitude of tool mfg's to use their product (free) and 2. he was also learning as he went. He was still probably the person most responsible for influencing thousands to take up woodworking which benefitted every woodworker. I hold the man in the highest esteem.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

You will have to pry my Porter Cable 4 1/2" worm drive panel saw out of my cold dead hands.

I have a pneumatic nailer, with wife's blessing, because of Norm, and some other interesting tools which I do use from time to time. Watching Norm was a big influence to get me back into woodworking and build a retirement hobby shop which does get daily use unless out of town. I had the opportunity about 7 years back to shake David Marks hand at a SWAT (Southwest Area Turners Symposium) and tell him that I felt that he and Norm were major reason for the increase interest in woodworking. I thought that I was going to be able to see Norm in the Houston area, but that got cancelled. I still don't have all the tools or wood, but definitely more than I would have had otherwise or even knowledge about.

The only 2 tools I have that was Norm influenced was pneumatic finish nailer and the Osborne Miter gauge. Both work well and I use them regularly.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"The only guilty man in Shawshank..."

Osbourne miter gauge
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Haukap View Post
    Norm, didn't buy cheap tools! That's over $800 worth of "stuff" Norm made you buy!

• Lamello Dosicol - $85
      Toolbelt - (??) $100
      Angle Wright Height Gauge - $135
      Bessey GRZ Super Grip Clamp - (2@) $85 ea
      Osborne Miter Gauge - $130
      Porter-Cable Speed-Bloc Sander - $100
      Porter-Cable Corner Chisel - $25
      Whiteside Router Inlay Set - $40
      Jevons Tool 3D Square - $50
      --
      Total: $835

I finally broke down and bought a pair of the Bessey clamps. I haven't had a chance to give them a workout yet, but I'm happy with my purchase. I opted for a Incra miter gauge so I can also use it in my band saw. I picked up a pair of Speed-Blocs at a school district auction for a few bucks. I opted for the Woodpeckers aluminum right angle corner clamps. The height gauge seems overpriced for what it does. I have an iGauge unit that works OK for me. And no, I never wear a tool belt in the shop. Seems like a good way to knock stuff onto the floor.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have purchased absolutely nothing because Norm used it.

what no Delta tools Myk.
    jack
    English machines

The porter cable saw boss sidewinder is a nice little saw.I have one that should be retired just can't do it yet.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 08-26-2013 at 12:57 AM.

14. I'm just a hobbiest, those saws have probably made less than 6 cuts each. I made those saw guide jigs after seeing Norm make them, but I just don't find a lot of use for these saws, maybe if I used more plywood, but I generally try to avoid it in favor of solid wood. Thanks for the offer though, but I'm not selling anything. My new shop is larger and I have plently of space for everything... and more! I still need a widebelt sander and a molder to round out the shop equipment.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Folks,

Sales can only take place in the Classifieds Forum and offers to buy something belong in that forum too.

If you find that your post has been deleted, it's because it was inappropriate in this forum.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....