Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tools you bought because you saw Norm Abram use them...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Diethrich View Post
    Hello All

<snip>
    Really do want one of those little PC trim saws though, really neat little tool I think.

A.W.D.
    The P-C model 314 is a handy lil' critter and I can't think of an equivalent. If you want one, I wouldn't dally too long. I don't know that they're made anymore. Coastaltool.com shows them as discontinued. Tools-plus says nothing found. Amazon lists a couple parts but no saws. They are still on Porter Cable's web site though so I'm not certain what's going on with them.

For those needing help remembering the specific tools:

http://www.normstools.com/normstools.shtml

I had one of those jack-rabbit drill/drive kits, but seem to recall that I didn't like it too much, and just use a dual drill/driver setup now (snappy countersink set and a square driver)

Matt

This fascination with Norm is not Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I have a similar photo (see below -- that's me in the back to the left of Kevin O'Connor)...
    Jason,
    That's pretty cool! When I started to read it I thought you were making a joke.
    nice gloat BTW
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    This fascination with Norm is not Normal.

It's called "Bromance"

I will have to say nothing because I must be the only person on the planet that has never watched his show. On the other hand, this forum has cost me a small fortune.

On the other hand, this forum has cost me a small fortune.

True DAT!

I recently bought some of the Bessey clamps, and while I haven't used them a lot, I do like them. I also have a collection of Bessey Revo clamps that I use all the time. I bought a Shopsmith after seeing him use one in some of the really early shows, and I still use it. Someday when I have the big shop I want to build, I will get the bigger saws and drill press that I know I need, but it works for me for now.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Bought a biscuit joiner based on the show. Seemed like a good idea at the time. After dusting it off 2 or 3 years in a row, sold it. Bought a Grizzly jointer based on the show. Not a lot of woodworkers in my area and I'd never seen how useful a good jointer can be. Have the Grizzly for over 10 years now and it's a godsend. Always enjoyed the show and the projects. Even if it would take me a year to make all the jigs and templates he used to "save time".

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    It's called "Bromance"
    I started working with wood when I was probably around 10 or 12. Since no one in my family was into woodworking/tools, it was a learn as you go procedure. I can remember watching Roy Underhill (Woodwright's Shop) and thinking there must be an easier way! When the New Yankee Workshop started I was already well into woodworking and his methods were very familiar to me. So, I readily identified with him, his techniques and the kinds of projects he was building.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zero, don't have a TV.......

Larry

Never bought anything because of Norm, but the PC Sawboss saw is a great tool. During my years carpentering, after discovering that saw, I put my worm drive away for good. I have owned and worn out two of those saws and wish I had another. I even stopped using a toolbelt on building projects, or if I did use it, I didn't load it up with stuff: tape, hammer, chisel, square, pencil and whatever nails I was using. Always fun to see new guys with giant tool belts loaded to the max. By the end of their first week they either learned or had a sore back!
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I made Norm's router table and use it all the time. I can't think of anything that I bought specifically because Norm had one. Perhaps my mortiser was influenced a bit by Norm's use of one. I never missed a show.
    I have the old Porter-Cable one he use to use it years ago,I just love mine ,it is still a very good router table.

No joke! I used to live near Boston and worked as a producer at This Old House for 8 years. These guys are all good friends of mine.

- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Muto View Post
    Jason,
    That's pretty cool! When I started to read it I thought you were making a joke.
    nice gloat BTW

I think one of the best things about the NYWS, other than that Timesaver sander and the Hitachi Resaw, Norm didn't have anything in his shop that I couldn't work out some way to buy if I really wanted it. I have acquired several pieces of equipment that I saw used effectively for the first time by Norm (Mortiser comes to mind), but I never went looking for some exact brand or model, just best quality/price I could manage.