Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: The Veritas Shooting Plane

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Rob (the dictator)
    I see a movie in the future.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Sooooo....if it's Derek's review, can't he decide which criteria to include and which not to? I think the quality of the iron is an important aspect of the plane personally.

Derek, if you do end up demonstrating the plane can shoot a 90, please also review the square you use to confirm this. And please review the reference block you use to confirm the square you use to confirm the board you shot with the plane. Then and only then will I believe you that this is a quality tool......

Adam,what is your post supposed to mean? I very seriously doubt that LV would put out a plane that is not square,or a less than excellent quality tool.

George, I'm just being sarcastic regarding Charlie's posts. I am a true believer in the quality of Veritas AND Derek's reviews. I've visited his site often for information that has helped me make informed decisions on purchases. I shouldn't even participate. Thank you Rob Lee for the innovative tools and thank you Derek for spending time reviewing them and posting great articles on them.

Thread reopened for civil discussion

Our civility problems with this thread have been permanently solved. Please do not rise to any bait.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mine arrived yesterday
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Gary -

I was remiss in not pointing this out....

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodw.../#.Uh8-hzvvux8

No financial interest here....just glad to see another small maker do well. I beleive Tico Vogt may have a solution too....

Cheers -

Rob
    Thanks Rob. I think I'll wait and see what your track and head are like. And I'm thinking about your new chisel plane. You evil, evil man.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Ordered mine two days ago. Will get the support items as soon as they come out.

James

Blog Entries
    A few images might be of interest here.

Start a cut with the mouth open as wide as possible and either figure a way to take a flash picture as the cut is being made or stop when the cut is fully engaged to reveal the angle of the blade across the piece being cut.

From looking at pictures of Derek's shooting board it looks like the blade of a standard plane makes first contact with the bottom of the work piece.

Has anyone made a shooting board with the ramping opposite to this?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Awwww man! You beat me. Mine just shipped. I live offshore so expect it by Wednesday or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A few images might be of interest here.

Start a cut with the mouth open as wide as possible and either figure a way to take a flash picture as the cut is being made or stop when the cut is fully engaged to reveal the angle of the blade across the piece being cut.

From looking at pictures of Derek's shooting board it looks like the blade of a standard plane makes first contact with the bottom of the work piece.

Has anyone made a shooting board with the ramping opposite to this?

jtk
    I've actually been thinking of doing so since the 51 I have has the skew so that Derek's ramp slightly cancels the skew out just to see the results. I wanted to set up a shooting board that had 2 or 3 barrel nuts in the back that were synchro-turned in some way so that the incline of the board could be varied.

Alas, I am lazy, though, and have not done so.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Awwww man! You beat me. Mine just shipped. I live offshore so expect it by Wednesday or so.
    You'll probably get to use yours first, it will be another month +/- before my shop is finished, couldn't let the discount go by. But, when the shop is done it will go right to work, along with my LN 62 in comparison, squaring up shop made veneer for a long overdue commission. Hoping to relegate the 62 to other tasks it is better suited for although it has made a fine shooting plane. This will be my first PMV11 iron as I have not been completely sold on all the hype, proof will be in the pudding as they say...
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I've actually been thinking of doing so since the 51 I have has the skew so that Derek's ramp slightly cancels the skew out just to see the results. I wanted to set up a shooting board that had 2 or 3 barrel nuts in the back that were synchro-turned in some way so that the incline of the board could be varied.

Alas, I am lazy, though, and have not done so.
    Angling the board does not cancel the lower cutting angle benefit of a skewed blade, regardless of ramp direction.

I have to assume people angled boards because it enables the blade to enter the cut progressively as opposed to facing the board at full width, additionally it uses more of the blade which means the blade wears more slowly and this over time also has a positive effect.

/p

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Sooooo....if it's Derek's review, can't he decide which criteria to include and which not to? I think the quality of the iron is an important aspect of the plane personally.

Derek, if you do end up demonstrating the plane can shoot a 90, please also review the square you use to confirm this. And please review the reference block you use to confirm the square you use to confirm the board you shot with the plane. Then and only then will I believe you that this is a quality tool......
    Adam, I plan to use this square. It should keep everyone happy ...

http://flairwoodworks.com/2013/04/01...ed-how-i-work/

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ha! I'd like to see the Derek Cohen Magic Square. Some crazy Aussie wood, artistic detailing and brass pivoting pin. I think that would be a tool to buy. Rob, you may have your 2014 April fools tool there.