Thread: Flooring stapler recommednation...

Flooring stapler recommednation...

Heh guys,

Does any one have a recommendation on a flooring stapler? I need to install 3/8" bamboo flooring over a plywood subfloor. It's for my wife's aunt and uncle.

Thanx!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I bought a cheapo model from Amazon because I figured I only had a 300 sq. ft. job to do and after that I wouldn't hardly use it much. Well it was a worthless piece of junk!!! I sent it back and bought a Bostich flooring stapler that worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 08-28-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    Heh guys,

Does any one have a recommendation on a flooring stapler? I need to install 3/8" bamboo flooring over a plywood subfloor. It's for my wife's aunt and uncle.

Thanx!

Freeman PFBC940...

http://www.amazon.com/Freeman-PFBC94...reeman+PFBC940

Just did bamboo in my kitchen, worked very well! Just need to careful when placing it. take your time and it will do a good job.

Stanley MIII FS. Mine has worked well for me and for my friends and neighbors that have borrowed it.

-Alden

I've seen the MIII stapler. What is there that is significantly less $$$. I want to do it right, but i don't plan to be doing a lot of floors.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

You can rent them at the BORG for a reasonable amount of money.

Or you can buy a used one off Ebay or Craigslist. Use it for as long as you want, and then resell it. A bit of a gamble, but you might break even or better.

Blog Entries
    Rent the type needed for the style of nail recommended by the flooring mfr.

I wanted to rent one, as it was a one time use. However the only ones available here were the larger ones, none that would work with the thinner engineered flooring. I used 1 1/2" staples recommended by many installers. They work very well for that application, as did the Freeman stapler. By the way, you can change the baseplate and use it as a normal stapler as well.

I had to install a little over 100 sq. ft. of flooring a year ago.
    I checked out renting a nailer/stapler from Home Depot and the cost of rental for two days was about the same as I could buy one on sale from Harbor Freight. ($99.00)
    I picked up the Harbor Freight 2 in one nailer/stapler & it worked 100% flawlessly with Bostitch flooring nails.
    The HF unit also comes with a separate baseplate for thinner flooring.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

PLEASE! Double check what the bamboo flooring requires in terms of fasteners before you buy a stapler. I have seen a bamboo floor put down with staples, and they left a hump on the top surface that was visible, and in my book, very unacceptable. I mentioned this to another flooring installer, and he said that it was due to the staples being the wrong fastener, that cleats would not have done this.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I own the Bostitch MIII FS and don't believe it's for 3/8" flooring. The 15 gauge staple would prove too large for the 3/8" engineered flooring application. I posed a similar question with few responses earlier in the week. After lots of reading, I went with the Porta-Nailer 461 1 inch 18 gauge narrow (1/4") Crown Flooring Stapler. It can fire 1 1/4" staples as well. It seems to be a good middle-ground stapler. Several are cheaper and a few more expensive, but this gets overall good reviews.

I use Primatech flooring nailers. They have a special shoe just for 3/8 flooring, and it uses cleats instead of staples. Works perfect and is dependable as a rock.

Larry

Yep, be careful, I used a shimmed MIII FS on 5/8" bamboo, no problem with the 'humps' but had to mess with the air pressure more than I like to keep the staple from blowing through the tongue or setting too high.

Used an inline regulator (similar to spray gun types) so I could keep the compressor regulated for the other guns.

The shoe height is definitely critical , need to set the fastener right where it needs to be on this engineered stuff or problems occur.

Ended up converting the stapler to handle cleats via a Bostich kit, and makes the gun less fussy for various flooring.

Haven't had the 'pleasure' of 3/8" install, but something like the Bostitch EHF1838K might be the ticket

Yup, one of Harbor Freight's gems in my experience. Will shoot cleats or staples. The only problem I had was due to lack of oil. I just put a drop or two of oil in the air intake each stick of cleats and no problem. Worked great and I think 3 days' rental paid for the tool.