I just completed a small cherry project - two tabletop bookstands - and applied Watco Danish Oil Finish - Natural.
After letting them sit overnight, I applied a secoond coat to one of the stands, rubbing it in with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wiped it dry, let it sit for a couple of hours, then decided to try putting it out in the Georgia sunshine to see if that would speed the darkening as some Creekers have attested.
After it had been in direct sunlight for about a couple of hours, I went to move it under cover for the night. Oil had oozed back out on some areas of the face surface, and dried hard. Not just dots of oil at pore openings, but whole areas of the face. It wouldn't rub off, so I applied more oil and let it sit for 30 minutes, but it didn't re-dissolve, so I ultimately had to sand it off. Not a big deal, since the oil was the only finish, but a nuisance. Next time, I'll give it plenty of curing time before I expose it to the sun's heat.

On a related subject, I've heard that oxidation causes cherry to darken, and also that the ultraviolet rays of the sun are the cause. I have some other cherry projects that are from two years to ten or more years old, that have never been exposed to direct sunshine, and yet they've darkened very nicely. This leads me to believe that oxidation is at least a major factor in the darkening, and makes me wonder if ultraviolet has any direct effect or merely speeds oxidation by raising the temperature of the wood. Can anyone shed any more light on the subject of darkening?