Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad package - UPS

Angry Sad package - UPS

So today I get two boxes from Lee Valley, as soon as I picked one up, a drawer slide pair came out. Now what really upsets me is that the UPS driver knew of this yet he just chose to leave it without knocking on our door. This is the 4th time I have problems with UPS and why anyone would use them is beyond me.

Well I had ordered some hardware to make my daughter a train table, some drawer slides for the garage, hacking knife, polycarbonate sheet (oddly enough packaged by itself in a 12x10x8 box)... Anyway mostly project supplies and the best part was a detail rabbet plane, 1/4". Well guess what was not in the box? YES, that and a UHMW 4x24" sheet. All the other stuff was there including a small bag with 1/4-20 knurled screws!

Does anyone know how these little planes are packaged, is the box small enough to fall through this tear?

It really upsets me that UPS just doesn't care, I know they don't take torn boxes, and while the packaging at Lee Valley could have been better considering what was in the order, I know these brutes at UPS are the ones that damaged the box.

I called them (UPS), I really want UPS and not Lee Valley to pay for this one.

image.jpg

/p

Ha, I'm in Austin too, and I find the whole UPS doorbell-ringing thing unbearable! That said, call Lee Valley, they will help you. UPS is an exercise in frustration unless you have an account.

If you do have an account, in my experience, UPS is fantastic, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Withers View Post
    Ha, I'm in Austin too, and I find the whole UPS doorbell-ringing thing unbearable! That said, call Lee Valley, they will help you. UPS is an exercise in frustration unless you have an account.

If you do have an account, in my experience, UPS is fantastic, ymmv.
    Thanks, I also prefer no knock/ring, but when a package is clearly damaged, or when they left a flat screen in the rain, I would appreciate a knock.

I know Lee Valley will replace my things, they are pure class, but I truly want UPS to take some ownership here.

Nice to find another Austinite here.

I think that most of us know how upsetting it is to be waiting and then receive a damaged package. UPS has a claims program and an automatic amount per package unless extra insurance was purchased. Give them a call and tell them of your problems - file a complaint and fill in the claim form. You might also let Lee Valley know, as their complaints might carry even more weight.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Thanks, I also prefer no knock/ring, but when a package is clearly damaged, or when they left a flat screen in the rain, I would appreciate a knock.
    Are you saying that you prefer UPS to leave the package on your front stoep without you knowing about it? Won't it get stolen?
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I know Lee Valley will replace my things, they are pure class, but I truly want UPS to take some ownership here.
    I would imagine that LV automatically puts insurance on their packages (at least when they are over a certain amount). If this is the case, they would hopefully be able to recoup the loss from UPS.

Anyway, that sucks. Let us know how it pans out.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

UPS will run you around in circles on claims.

It's not insurance, in their parlance it's "Declared Value coverage" and that is based on their appraisal.
    With a new item, that's less of a faff, but if the item is second hand - they'll base the replacement value of a vintage item on current retail offerings.

That's when the fun starts.

I think there's something else afoot in this case.

I recently shipped a custom vector table that I built for a customer. I made a custom plywood box with a 2 by 4 frame. I covered the table with foam sheet and used screws to secure the box. Somewhere along the shipping route UPS crushed the corner of the box and destroyed the table. It would have taken a lot of force to crush a box like mine, either it was run over by a fork lift or a very large heavy crate was dropped on my box.

My attempts to hold UPS responsible for their irresponsible handling of my package have been received by a cold shoulder and the blame has been transfered back to me being accused of building an inferior shipping container. I have the phone number of the UPS corporate office with instructions to call them about my problem but I don't expect to receive any compensation, at this point they have even refused to refund my shipping fee.

Hi Pedro -

Please give us a call. The UPS claims process is involved, and they'll ask you to get us to fill it in anyway. It's our job to get it there... and we'll put it right...

Cheers -

Rob

So today I get two boxes from Lee Valley, as soon as I picked one up, a drawer slide pair came out. Now what really upsets me is that the UPS driver knew of this yet he just chose to leave it without knocking on our door. This is the 4th time I have problems with UPS and why anyone would use them is beyond me.

Well I had ordered some hardware to make my daughter a train table, some drawer slides for the garage, hacking knife, polycarbonate sheet (oddly enough packaged by itself in a 12x10x8 box)... Anyway mostly project supplies and the best part was a detail rabbet plane, 1/4". Well guess what was not in the box? YES, that and a UHMW 4x24" sheet. All the other stuff was there including a small bag with 1/4-20 knurled screws!

Does anyone know how these little planes are packaged, is the box small enough to fall through this tear?

It really upsets me that UPS just doesn't care, I know they don't take torn boxes, and while the packaging at Lee Valley could have been better considering what was in the order, I know these brutes at UPS are the ones that damaged the box.

I called them (UPS), I really want UPS and not Lee Valley to pay for this one.

image.jpg

/p

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Please give us a call. The UPS claims process is involved, and they'll ask you to get us to fill it in anyway. It's our job to get it there... and we'll put it right...
    This is what makes Lee Valley a great company to deal with. Well done Rob.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Are you saying that you prefer UPS to leave the package on your front stoep without you knowing about it? Won't it get stolen?
    Depends on where you live.

*knock on wood* Where I live, it's on a fairly busy road, so anyone just walking up to my house and taking a package off the front steps would be noticed. Not to mention, we have a very nosy old neighbor that watches our house like a hawk, even to the point of "your motion lights went on last night. I checked and couldn't see anything."

Old ladies. . .better than ADT and loads cheaper. :-D

That said, though, I prefer UPS leave packages on my side porch that is sheltered, but they don't always. I've known a few guys that have worked for UPS and their attitude is "we have a union and can't get fired, so why should we care? The company will pay for damages." But there are also employees there that treat packages with the utmost respect. I've watched drivers fling a 50 pound package like they didn't care and I've seen drivers stand and ring a doorbell multiple times holding a 70 pound package. For what it's worth, after working in shipping and receiving for a year and a half, all the major carriers are like that. When you get into freight carriers it gets even scarier; as in, some people are so oblivious they'll drive a forklift off a dock out an empty door, sometimes rigs will take off without making sure a trailer is hitched.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Guess we're lucky where I live. Our packages tend to arrive undamaged. From UPS, USPS and FedEx.

As for our local UPS driver, He's a super good guy. I've heard he's brought his truck to the local elementary school so the kids can get a tour of the truck. He leaves treats for our dog when he delivers to our house. He's a very hard guy to not like a lot.

PHM

I live in West Philly. God help me if anything gets left on my doorstep. Fortunately, USPS, UPS, and Fedex all seem pretty reliable where I live....I think it really varies with location. When I was in NOLA USPS left my brand new set of sigmas from Stu right on my doorstep...they never used to leave anything but for some reason they just left those! I couldn't believe it when got home to find them there. I sure was thankful that they didn't walk away (not that most people would know what they were) and leave me out $250!

Now I just get everything shipped to work! It's always fun to have a hand plane or something come in to break up the monotony of a typical work day.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-28-2013 at 8:36 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

With all the horror stories out there about UPS it's surprising any shipper still uses them.

Don't get me started on UPS. My company ships about $100k with them annually. We opt for insurance on every package. We even have a 'dedicated' account manager.

We have at least 2-3 damaged shipments - and I mean, damaged to the point of our product cannot be used by our customer - PER MONTH. It is always we who have file the claim. We do get paid often, but it's such a run-around. I am convinced it's in their business model to do this because it discourages claims.

"With all the horror stories out there about UPS it's surprising any shipper still uses them."
    There's a basic duopoly.
    In my experience, Fed Ex isn't much better.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-28-2013 at 8:50 AM.