Thread: Plane blade size and source

Plane blade size and source

I figured I would make a new thread for this since it probably got lost in the shuffle of the other thread.

I got a wooden plane body from my father-in-law's garage, no iron, no wedge. It is a tiny little thing but I'd like to make it functional. The mouth has rounded ends like it was either drilled or routered out and the flat part is about 1 1/8" wide. The blade angle appears to be the standard angle in that it matches the #3 bedrock I compared it to (45 degrees?).

I would say it's about 5-6" long, so what size would this be equivalent to, and can I get an iron for it?

wooden.jpg

Blog Entries
    I would say it's about 5-6" long, so what size would this be equivalent to, and can I get an iron for it?
    Sounds about the size of a #1.

My inclination would be to check my " chisels for a fit. Maybe it could be wedged in there for a test drive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Brush View Post

It's a single iron plane, and those are hard to come by. Of course, you can always use the blade of a double iron and just omit the chipbreaker. A vintage tapered iron will work best (check ebay or antique malls), but an untapered blade like the ones Hock sells will work also. If you go that route, don't get the shortest blades (3 1/2" I think), get the longer (4 1/2").