Thread: Clearvue Noise Reduction Feedback Requested

Clearvue Noise Reduction Feedback Requested

Hi all, I posted a similar thread over on the CV forums... but judging from the number of posts over there, I felt I'd have a better chance at getting a timely response from the many CV users here at SMC.

I think am close to placing an order for a new clearvue cyclone... from what I can tell for those venting back to the shop through filters there are three common practices for reducing noise from the cyclone:

1) Building a closet/enclosure around the unit and soundproofing with something such as Roxul, or acoustic foam panels, etc.

2) Adding a folded baffle or chimney to the air return to muffle the sound coming from within the enclosure.

3) Adding a length (~8ft) of flexible insulated HVAC ducting between the blower exhaust and the input to the filters.

Have I missed anything important?

I am committed to doing #1 and #2 above, but I am not certain whether there is any real additional benefit to also including #3... any comments? The downside I see for my specific application of adding the HVAC ducting is the additional space required to contain the duct inside the closet (ie larger enclosure means less shop space in my small garage shop!!).

Thanks in advance!!
    Andy

You could always mount it outside then build a "dog house" around it. That way you save space, the only thing you will hear is the air flowing through your ductwork, and you can either skip the filters all together or put in cheaper larger micron filters.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Mounted mine in the corner of the shop ... sounded like a jet helicopter starting up ... moved it up into the attic ... NICE !!! !!! !!!

Still makes some noise, but not at all annoying !!! My photos are on the C.V sire under the folder "unusual install" ... it gave me the added benefit of being able to use 6 big TORIT filters in a custom filter housing.

I did #1, I'm not completely finished yet, but just adding the roxul rock wool insulation has made a big difference. I'm doing a double wall closet for the most soundproofing. I couple of things I did find though, were that even with the cyclone/blower/filter well contained I was getting a ton of noise coming through the duct. I used 8" metal ducting and had to enclose a good portion of that as well before I could get the noise down.

I also found that the noise reduction added a substantial amount to the cost of the dust collector project, something I didn't anticipate.

I have done #1 and #2: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...vue&highlight=
    Works very well, I don't have an issue with noise of that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    I used 8" metal ducting and had to enclose a good portion of that as well before I could get the noise down.
    Can I ask from curiosity what you used around the ducts?

Thanks everyone... I think I will just go with an enclosure and baffled air return. Mreza, I like your idea of venting the air across the motor, will definitely need to incorporate that in my plan.

Andy

For any one considering #1, you may want to consider checking out http://www.greengluecompany.com/ for their approach to sound attenuation. For the tecchies out there also compare the attenuation vs. frequency curves for various methods of soundproofing.

It is quite easy to attenuate high frequencies (foam, green glue, roxwul, etc.) but much tougher to attenuate the lower "rumbling" frequencies. This is where Green Glue excels.

I visited a WW's site where it'd been used and the results were amazing. I have now purchased some which I will install when I get to constructing my DC enclosure.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Can I ask from curiosity what you used around the ducts?
    I just used more of the Roxul Safe and SOund rock wool insulation.

I'm thinking of using green glue, but the stuff is very expensive, so I'm only going to do so as a last resort.

It is expensive but I'd prefer overkill the first time, never to redress the issue, just as I do with my tools.

I also understand that valid opinions on this may vary. This is only my opinion...
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!