Thread: round top table

round top table

I found this table in my cellar boneyard when I was cleaning it up and looking for something else. I had made 6 of these - all different in size wood etc. - I thought my daughters had taken them all. This one has a poplar top about 20" in diameter and sits on a red oak base 31" high. I got the table upstairs now and I'll find a use for it. It survived 2 floods and 5 years in the cellar - when I checked my signature/date I had made this in August of 2008.
    I tried to post this yesterday but the resizing program I've been using wasn't shrinking my JPEGs enough. I find another program on line and I might switch to that one.

phppqzLqxPM.jpgphpreQVy0PM.jpgphpEshdiKPM.jpg

A lot of people detest the color variations in poplar, but I think it can be quite stunning. I really like the top.

The top makes this table. I don't understand why this is considered a secondary wood by some many woodworkers.

I love poplar - it's only annoying characteristic is it's propensity to get dinged sometimes if I whack something against the corner of a bench or drop something on the floor, but I find it quite attractive, particularly when it's aged and warmed up some. The contrast between the sap and heart can be quite nice.

this is a really attractive piece, Ralph! Nice choice with the streaking there. Is that one top one piece? Everytime I think I might have figured out where a glue line would be, I realize I'm wrong.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

+1 on showing off the Poplar to it's detractors.

I love the stuff and it's an undervalued bargain.
    Nice time capsule, there.

I like it also. It is what I used to make my toolboxes.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful table.

I don't understand why this is considered a secondary wood by some many woodworkers.
    Popular and alder are both in the hardwood family but are both somewhat soft like pine.

I was working with some alder yesterday and just from moving around on the bench small chips of wood were marking up the surface.

Have to remember with woods like that to cover the table with a bunch of shavings to keep from damaging things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)