Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laser tube lifespan question

laser tube lifespan question

My question is, will a tube last longer if you never use it to cut and only use it to engrave, I'm assuming that it you engrave at 70 power it would use less tube power than if you were to cut at 70 power ?

just curious......

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Not an easy question to answer (or prove) as it depends upon so many factors... but one basic generalization can be made, and that's tube lifetime can be extended when it remains at the same temperature for long periods of time rather than constant heating/cooling cycles. Seals last longer, electronics last longer, etc. Not taking the unit to max power helps with longevity, so one could make the conclusion that running at some non-max power level for long periods of time is better than running short jobs at full power with long lag times in between.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Not an easy question to answer (or prove) as it depends upon so many factors... but one basic generalization can be made, and that's tube lifetime can be extended when it remains at the same temperature for long periods of time rather than constant heating/cooling cycles. Seals last longer, electronics last longer, etc. Not taking the unit to max power helps with longevity, so one could make the conclusion that running at some non-max power level for long periods of time is better than running short jobs at full power with long lag times in between.
    That's all good but you forgot the phase of the moon and the magnetivity of mars - I KNOW they both have an effect on the lifespan of a laser and I can prove it! (not really but didn't that sound convincing?)

RF tubes will last as long if you run at 100% power or 1% power (in my experience)..their reliability is a crap shoot..some last 10 years + , some fail 6 months from new....
    Glass tubes will have severely shortened life running at 100% power... as with RF tubes , reliability is a crap shoot...however they have more finite lifespans then RF tubes..cheapys at about 1000 hours , better quality tubes , maybe 5-8000 hours...
    Heat is the enemy of both types , make sure your cooling systems are up to snuff.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Hi for 40W glass tubes there are many factor but the most important are: - the cooling water temperature should never go higher then 28C ( 83F) it should stay between 20 to 22C, - the max current should never excite 18mA better around 16mA, - this factor need a gauge not eye balling or finger testing. greetings waltfl

As others have said, there is no data to support any of the theories so I guess mine is as good as any. I am a believer in keeping your laser in a moderate atmosphere, 50F-90F and moderate humidity, 30-70%.

I keep my machine in my basement which is heated and cooled and my current tube is in its 7th year. My competitor, a short ways away, has the same machine and he's completing his 7th year with the same tube. His is in a retail store.

I have seen no evidence that cutting vs. engraving reduces tube life--at least from anybody who I believed was credible.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

7. We run the heck out of a 45 watt 2005 Epilog still on original tube with no sign of output degradation. We burn 6-7 days a week at max power. The techs at Epilog have repeatedly told me that one of the biggest factors in prolonging any tube's life is actually regular and frequent usage. Before we got so busy we used to run it in vector at 100% for several minutes every day or so empty.

Large body tubes have a max temp requirement of between 20 and 22 degrees to get the best life, warranties are also affected by the current applied to them.

Evidential issues that support Rod's post are that Chinese PSU's are unstable, running a PSU (Glass Tube) at 100 % all the time can result in over current being applied to the tube and burning away the electrodes.

Not taking the unit to max power helps with longevity, so one could make the conclusion that running at some non-max power level for long periods of time is better than running short jobs at full power with long lag times in between.
    Supported by the fact tubes have a strike power requirement, they are hit with max output when they first fire so lots of short starts will apply higher average current over time (again leading to electrode burn)

This *could* confide that engraving would do more harm than cutting (lots of strike times applied) but that is simply deductive logic and may not be real world when you take into account engraving is done at a lower overall power.

On a normal narrow body tube running it at 18 to 20 or 26 to 28 *probably* isn't going to make much difference if the temperature is kept stable.

My last narrow body EFR F2 80 watt did 5,500 hours cut time running on a chiller that ran 24/7 and never went outside of 17 to 20 degrees.It was still running fine when I swapped it out for a ZX1850 earlier this year.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

i picked up my zing in 2009 new and i noticed that it is having difficulty in the cutting mode, I used to be able to cut 1/8" baltic birch comfortably at 50s 65p @ 500f but now I need to use 25s 90p @500f, im assuming this is a sign of the tube failing ? it seems to be engraving just fine. if I use 50s 65p it simply won't cut all the way through the wood.

thanks

Tube degradation or wood variation Kasey, both can do it. Could also be the final lens coming to the end of it's life or even the mirrors. The parts of the optical train can make a huge difference to cutting ability. That said at 4 years old, it is likely the tube (source).

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Maxwell View Post
    i picked up my zing in 2009 new and i noticed that it is having difficulty in the cutting mode, I used to be able to cut 1/8" baltic birch comfortably at 50s 65p @ 500f but now I need to use 25s 90p @500f, im assuming this is a sign of the tube failing ? it seems to be engraving just fine. if I use 50s 65p it simply won't cut all the way through the wood.

thanks
    Kasey,
    2 simple things
    1 digitally check the thickness of your material. some 3mm comes in at .123" some at .119. it makes a difference.
    2 check ALL mirrors and make sure they are clean and alignment is spot on.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

is there a way to check the life of the tube, like a gauge or meter that wont break the bank, maybe rent one ?

Thanks

I know there is one that I rented from Trotec. Not sure who else has it but I would check with your salesperson who sold the laser to you and go right to the source but if you didn't check it before, you have no benchmark to check it against. although you will know where you stand now.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

as far as I understand the sales person company that sold me the machine went out of business, I believe the name was A.C.E.S. (Advanced cutting and engraving services)

Blog Entries
    The Power Wizard is what you're looking for to check the power level... I believe LaserBits still rents them for $100.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5