Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: laser tube lifespan question

Your optics and alignment will make a significant difference , but you would soon see if the mirrors or lens is damaged enough to make you have to cut at effectively 1/2 the speed you were doing so when new. Alignment will show by cutting a thickish piece of acrylic (8mm) and looking at the cut edges , if they slope alignment is probably out , but that too should not make the laser work at 1/2 the speed. If the laser is cutting at one point and not thru at another , most likely alignment too.
    We take a piece of exact 3mm thickness acrylic and cut it at the usual power/speed at all locations on the table , if it doesn't cut thru at a corner etc , we then know alignment is probably out , if it does not cut thru at all points , even after optics are cleaned , we then know its a tube issue..we do this about once or twice a month on all our lasers.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

My first tube lasted 4 years, but I may have shortened it's life by sucking the vent air through it from another room/floor using a metalized plastic 4" vent line. The inside liner collapsed and the laser shut down once due to over heating, although it may have been running for a while in a over heated mode. When I installed the new tube, and one mirror, I moved the blower to the machine and installed metal vent lines in a short route to the outside. The current tube has lasted 6 years now and shows no sign of slowing down. I'm running on the same lens and encoder strip. However besides the tube, I have burned out two x-motors. and a lcd display modual. I keep a spare lens,encoder strip and x-motor, on hand just in case. Epilog is now selling direct into Canada (at U.S. Prices they say!) and The old dealer was bought out by Trotec. A new, bigger machine will be in the works soon, just have to decide which one.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it