Thread: I made a wooden compass

I made a wooden compass

with power tools. I wonder how the Neaderthals will be able to digest that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQFHitcUn8

Thanks for looking

That's really nice man! If you have power tools, you can do a lot of things.

For some reason my mind thought it was something that was going to point north!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    For some reason my mind thought it was something that was going to point north!
    Me too. And without any metal!

Still cool though. Years ago I made a 3 foot bevel square to help me with a job I did. Kinda reminds me of that.

Very good and a nice way to develop and hone shop skills.

Cool project, and like others I thought it would point north. However - when I was watching the video the question "what's up with that dude's sawblade / TS alignment" did pop into my head. Lots of burning there - is that typical or were you using an old dull / dirty blade?
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I made this one almost 20 years ago out of some scrap SYP. The pencil is wedged in place with a drywall screw. Not as pretty as yours, but functional. I also have a large caliper out of red oak.

Compass.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Cool project, and like others I thought it would point north. However - when I was watching the video the question "what's up with that dude's sawblade / TS alignment" did pop into my head. Lots of burning there - is that typical or were you using an old dull / dirty blade?
    Thanks

Yeah, I haven't worked much with cherry it seemed to burn just by looking at it. I guess I needed to raise the blade a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I made this one almost 20 years ago out of some scrap SYP. The pencil is wedged in place with a drywall screw. Not as pretty as yours, but functional. I also have a large caliper out of red oak.

Compass.jpg
    Sweet. I wish I'd seen that before. I like that angle for the pencil!