Thread: Need JDS Air Cleaner placement advice

Need JDS Air Cleaner placement advice

I need some help from some of you "air flow" experts on where I should place an additional JDS air cleaner. I have whole shop dust collection at each machine, but there is always some process in the shop that creates airborne dust and since I have some sinus issues, I want to keep the air as clean as possible. Let me state up front that I use a 3M respirator with P100 filters every time I go in the shop.
    OK, the question, I have 1 JDS 750 air cleaner that I have had for years and it collects a lot of dust. I recently had the opportunity to buy an additional one at a good discount so I bought it. Now I want to be sure to mount it in the most advantageous location.
    Floor dimensions are in picture below. The entire area is open but the ceilings are 8' in one area and 16' in the rest. Right now I have 1 hanging in the section with 8' ceilings.
    I want to add the other one wherever will give me the most efficient dust cleaning.
    Jim

Floor dimensions.jpg

Have you seen the top of your 16' ceilings lately? Any settled dust up there?

I would probably put it where the most dust is generated. Maybe it could be mounted on a wall instead of the ceiling? (I have one too, but don't know if it can wall mount)

Todd

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jim, I found this interesting when I installed my JDS:

http://www.woodworking.com/ww/Articl...trol_7484.aspx

In a nutshell:

"Try to mount at about 8-10 feet above the floor (no lower than 6' or 2/3 of the floor to ceiling distance if less than 8' ceiling)
    Mount along the longest wall so the intake is approximately 1/3 the distance from the shorter wall. Mount no further than 4-6 inches from the wall.
    The exhaust is the largest determiner of the circulation pattern. You are trying to encourage circulation parallel to the floor/ceiling. The exhaust is the clean air so that is what you want to position yourself in if you are looking for health benefits. If the dust has to pass your nose to get to the air cleaner, you get no benefits."
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I would put it closer to where you are working or the dust generation point. I doubt it will develop enough flow to make a noticable difference in the 16' ceiling area if you mount it high. Additionally, if you have hot air in the ceiling, you don't want to pull that down onto yourself in the summer time. If the dust is up there (very likely), its not in your nose anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I probably won't mount them high on the 16' walls. The shop walls are covered with a slick finish inexpensive white wall board. The ceiling is a drop ceiling with those 2X2 inset panels.
    I'm sure there is a little, but ther?? e has not been any significant dust accumulation the high walls or the ceiling. I have one already mounted(suspended) under the 8' ceiling. I was thinking I maybe should mount the other one at a comparable height on the opposite wall (16' wall).
    Maybe some stout, long shelf brackets and under the near side and a pair of diagonal cables from the wall out to the far corners.
    Do you think that would work in terms of airflow and support for a side wall mount?? That area is also very close to drum sander and although I have dust collection connected to it, there always seems to be extra dust settling in that area.

Jim

<hijack>
    Speaking of white wall board.... I just picked up about 180+ sheets of this stuff at an auction. It was in a lot, combined with a machine I wanted. Trying to sell it on Craigslist right now. HD sells it for $12.65 sheet. Is that where you got yours? How does it work? Did you glue it up?
    </hijack>

Todd,
    The wallboard I got was from Lowe's but probably the same type stuff. It is a bead board and has a slick, semi-gloss finish which doesn't give dust much to stick to.
    It was put up with the small white panel nails.

Jim

Hi Jim,
    The idea of placement is to create a stirring effect in the space so the particles are circulated back through the intake. Opposite wall of the other one sounds best but with the ceiling height increase to 16', the circulation pattern would be affected. I think locating it close to the sander if this is a known dust generator is a good idea. The intake is relatively low velocity so you are not going to get much "capture effect". You may have to place it, then use a small fan to help push the dust toward the filter unit if the results are not what you expected.

With no dust up top, sounds like you are getting most at the source. I've worked in food plants that have very little dust generation and use drop tiles. It is pretty nasty above the tiles. Same goes for offices. I know it is up in the air, but have you looked up above the tiles recently? I've considered it for a shop ceiling as well for the flexibility of running utitlities, but am concerned about dust accumulation based what I have seen in other places. May not be an issue for a hobby shop due to relatively low use.

Regarding the wall board
    Did you put the wall board directly on the studs or use a substrate like OSB behind the wall board? If it is what I am thinking of, it is thin, like 1/8"? I used 1/2" OSB and it does collect dust on the walls. This would be a low$ retrofit for me to put it on top of the OSB since my shop is smaller.

Mike

Thanks Michael. I think I will mount it on the wall near the drum sander. You're right though, the intake of the JDS is not strong enough to pull the dust from a distance without the assistance of another fan.
    The white board on the walls is shown below. It really has held up very well for 14 years. My shop is mostly a hobbyist shop although I do use it fairly heavily at times. The white board is nailed directly to the wall studs. There is a strip that ties the horizontal edges together. Although it would be nice to have a surface that I could screw/nail anywhere, I have not had too much difficulty with just finding a stud when I attached something to the walls.
    The ceiling(acoustic tiles) is shown in one of the pictures below. I'm sure there is some dust on the surface, but it is generally pretty clean. A couple of years back I had the ballast changed out in the bay light and the guy on the ladder commented on how little dust was up there.

Jim

20130830_130040.jpg20130830_130050.jpg20130830_130109.jpg