Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral Dream

Blog Entries

Spiral Dream

Hi everyone, I'm ba,ack! I was informed about another Baileigh contest with a twist. Everyone had to use the same list of materials. One of the things on the list was 6bf of wood of my choosing. I decided on Bubinga. I also posted the project on WOW and to my surprise, I won the cover today. The vessel stands 16-1/2" tall & 5" wide. The vessel has 12 spirals, the lid has 6 and the finial has 4. This was an insane build and was so much fun. At the thinnest point on the bottom, the spirals are 1/16" thick. I think I held my breath through 1/2 of this project. Anyway, please enjoy.
    spiral dream.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 08-29-2013 at 6:06 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Wow!! I can see why you made the cover Bill. This piece is exceptional.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Enjoy I am! What an incredible piece!

Some people are artists and the rest of us waste our money buying tools..... Nicely done Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's impossible ! But you did it anyway. Nice.

Blog Entries
    I'm just the guy that takes off the sawdust, my fellow woodworkers are my inspiration, so my hats off to all of you.

Amazing, Bill. Congratulations on the WoW cover, too. Work like this, and by other members of this board, constantly reminds me of how far I have to go.

David

7. Hubba hubba! Congrats on the WoW cover today, Bill.......glad to see you post again!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Just out standing. I would likely be a stressed out wreak working something like that. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Blog Entries
    I just realized, my wife works tonight & this thing is done!!! I get a night off!!! Woo hoo. I'll be cleaning the shop this weekend. I probably have 2 days of cleaning after the back to back to back builds I've been on. 1st the Baileigh box contest, then another box which I will post tomorrow, and then this piece. Now I have 3 more boxes to build, an over head cabinet/tv console for a motor home, a Dalek robot, (for you Dr Who fans) finish my cabinet humidor and run my stereo/woodworking business. Never too busy,......just under staffed.

Beautiful work, Bill. Superb!!

11. Bill that is a wonderful piece. The superlatives could go on for several paragraphs, but I'll spare you and simply say, thanks for sharing.
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

Bill, someday, when you start to pay more attention to detail and take this turning and carving thing more seriously, you'll begin to create some really nice pieces. For now, your mediocre works are sufficient... Do you have any fingernails left!?!?!??!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    LOL, I do have nails but my finger tips are killing me from sanding. I probably have 10 hours of sanding in total in this thing. Bubinga is hard as nails.

Quite a beautiful piece, I wondered why bubinga ? Was this a solid piece or a stave or segmented glue up ? I don't think my nerves could handle a project like this, terrific workmanship, congratulations on your cover win.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom. I found using a very hard wood makes it easier for me to get real thin spirals, plus I just really like the wood. It actually started as 3 8/4 blocks glued together. Now that it's done, I can't find where the seams are. I used 1/4 saw material with a tight grain so I think that helped disguise the seams.