Thread: built in bunk beds

built in bunk beds

I'm building some built in bunk beds. Framed with 2x4, extended out from the walls to give the "built in" look. There is a set of beds going north-south and a similar set going east-west with stairs in between to reach the top bunks. The fronts and walls will all be extended from the exiting drywall to look "as one". My question is this: what material to use to case the project. It extends from ceiling to floor and will be sprayed a grayish-blue tinted lacquer. There is 10+ outside corners so drywall is giving me pause, plus I'm not terribly confident how a sprayed tinted lacquer would look on drywall. Using mdf or poplar/ply is fine but it requires some more fit and finish effort than hanging drywall. What say you?
    Last edited by John Kain; 08-29-2013 at 7:04 PM.

I can't picture what you're describing, but when I read "built in" (permanent) and "bunk beds" (kids) I think about durability and when I think durability, I think hardwood. Probably birch or maple.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

When we were building our house we designed an alcove for them & each has their own window with a large drawer under the bottom one. Our grandchildren love them. They can pull the curtain for privacy. Their long enough for an adult to sleep in also. I used 2x stock for the frame, beaded board & poplar. We painted them to match the trim. IMG_8542.jpg No idea why this is sideways because it didn't start that way. If someone can let be know why it happened maybe it won't the next.

Thanks guys. Wood it is.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kain View Post
    Thanks guys. Wood it is.
    What I like about real wood like poplar is that it is seemingly always repairable. Plywood...damge the veneer and it is a paint to repair. Drywall si soft,e asily damaged, and doesn't ahve a quality artisan feel like real wood.

Good luck with your project, pics please when you are done!
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 08-31-2013 at 6:57 PM. Reason: spelling