Thread: Did you make your own bandsaw pulley guard?

Did you make your own bandsaw pulley guard?

I am renovating a Craftsman model 137.224140 bandsaw that is missing the pulley guard. Replacements are no longer available from Sears. If you have made your own, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell Littlefield View Post
    I am renovating a Craftsman model 137.224140 bandsaw that is missing the pulley guard. Replacements are no longer available from Sears. If you have made your own, any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    A picture of said such saw would be helpful.

I'm not doing very well on posting tonight, I apologize. Here is a link to a previous thread that has pictures and diagrams of the saw: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...saw-137-224140

Likely you will find a replacement from another source such as Grizz, H.F., etc. This doesn't look to be proprietary and probably is something a guard from a tool like a horizontal bandsaw, etc. can be adapted from.

Bandsaw_-_rear (Small).JPG
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

5. I have that exact model bandsaw. I don't even have the pully guard on due to it slipping and binding occasionally. But Hank is correct, there are many other manufacturers that made this style saw. Since craftsman doesn't make anything original, other brands are identical in design. However I am sure it wouldn't be cheap if you can find one. I would personally make one out of plywood. I found a link that might help.
    http://www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com/...ard/index.html

After looking over that link I would most likely to a bit different. I would cut the cover like he did, then I would just use that as a template. I would then throw a pattern bit in my router and copy it several times and remove the center with a jigsaw. Or just use the pattern bit to cut the round ends and fill the straight runs with thin strips to save on waste. In the long run I think it would be easier and quicker.
    Last edited by Jacob Muldowney; 08-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.