Thread: Visited a sawmill in Uruguay today

Visited a sawmill in Uruguay today

It's been a long time since I've posted. For those of you who don't know me or remember, I moved to Uruguay about 18 months ago. I've been too busy fixing up the farm and building a house to do any woodworking. I brought my entire shop with me, but it's been in boxes in a garage since we arrived. Once the house is done next month, I'll be able to convert the old house (where we're living now) into a wood shop. But that's not why I decided to post.

Today, I visited a sawmill. It was a small operation behind somoene's house. But it's the machinery that made it interesting. Power tools are expensive and hard to get here. So it's actually easier to get a huge bandsaw (think snowflake) for example rather than a 14" Jet. The shop I visited had two huge bandsaws. One had (about) 28" wheels. It was about 10 feet tall, with a small hole in the floor, and the lower wheel dropped about 8" into the floor. This was the main saw for the saw mill. They had roller infeed and outfeed tables. And the saw blade was about 1.5", and 16" logs outside.

They had another bandsaw also. This one had about 36" wheels, but was a little shorter. It had shop-made covers for the wheels and an enormous cast iron table. The owner cut up some 2x2s for me to make a whelping box for our lab that's about to deliver.

They also had a planer and jointer. They're models that I've never seen in the US. The planer's about 24" wide. And the jointer is a more european type with a 12" table that's maybe only 36" long.

No table saws. Everything's done with bandsaws.

But the really weird thing that caught my attention was the blade sharpening machine. He had a large blade from one of the big saws mounted horizontal with the teeth facing up, and a grinder that ground the teeth and advanced the blade automatically. I can see similar machines on the internet. But the one I saw today must have been nearly 100 years old. He had to stand over the machind and tighten and loosen bolts constantly as the machine ran in order to make it sound right and keep it grinding the blade correctly.

Once I get the shop setup, I'll definitely head back there for more wood. But we'll have to see how the quality goes. All the wood is air dried. And if it's anything like the firewood here, almost certainly still too wet. I have plans for some friends to bring me a moisture meter. That would be even more useful here than it would be in the US since quality is all over the place. And bringing it with me to buy firewood should be entertaining. "Our wood is dry" is uruguayan for "the check's in the mail." It should be great fun showing them just how "dry" their wood actually is. :-)

Edit: I had a long coversation with the owner after loading up the car. He pointed me to a motor shop in Montevideo who can fix and rewind a (marathon) motor for my compressor that decided it didn't like the power here. Interesting guy.

brian
    Last edited by brian lanning; 08-29-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks for the writeup, Brian. We Americans often forget just how well off we really are.

John

Blog Entries
    Didn't happen without pics, Brian
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Didn't happen without pics, Brian
    lol, I knew that would be the response. I didn't have a camera handy. And until I get to know him better, I think a camera in his shop probably wouldn't be too welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    Thanks for the writeup, Brian. We Americans often forget just how well off we really are.

John
    Without a doubt, the US is still the best place in the world to "get stuff". Things are mostly available here. But they can be difficult to find and expensive. And as things become more unusual, they become unavailabe. For example, I wanted to buy a 500gig ssd for my computer. On amazon, I think they're about $330 at the moment. That same drive is over $1000 here. So it's easily available, but ridiculously expensive. This is because there's a 60% import duty and a 22% VAT tax, plus some extra cheese for the importer if it's something that's rare and in demand, like the ssd. I have a friend bringing one from the US for me tomorrow.

Most power tools are available here. But the prices can be high and quality low. The culture here can only be described as the exact opposite of "cry once". So cheap chinese crap tools abound. Good stuff is available though. I can get bosch or dewalt power tools for example. But prices will be double or triple. There's even a festool dealer in montevideo. I haven't been yet, but I did ask for a price list.... double US prices. lol

Other things just aren't available though. I want to get a quick hitch for my massy 245. Totally unavailable here. I'll have to wait until someone brings a container and send it that way. It's possible to become an official importer of such things. But I feel like my spanish isn't quite there yet. Although other americans have done it with no spanish at all, so maybe I should try.

brian

My brother in law in some distant land has a very similar set up. They use a 36" bandsaw for sawmilling. They have the exact set up for sharpening their blades. They also have hardwood blocks for bandsaw guides and they soak them in diesel fuel. They also have a coffee can full of diesel and a brush and they frequently lubricate the blade with diesel. It is the off road diesel and it really stinks...

The one I saw had huge hardwood guides. like 1.5" square. But I didn't smell diesel anywhere so maybe they're running them dry? I'm not sure.