Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mac vs PC (not really off topic)

I am a FreeBSD guy
    Might not be much to look at
    But performs well and bullet proof

so the older the iron the better for most handtools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    For example, I find it very irritating when Windows interrupts a movie I'm watching to perform updates and restart. Geesh, who are these people?
    Some have problems with the Anti-Virus scans.

Here is a video of John MacAfee on how to remove the software. (Warning, I am not sure that is actually John MacAfee and it is a bit on the raw side.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    Engineers!
    Yeah, but certainly not user interface engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some have problems with the Anti-Virus scans.

Here is a video of John MacAfee on how to remove the software. (Warning, I am not sure that is actually John MacAfee and it is a bit on the raw side.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg
    I never have problems with that, simply refuse to pay up when the "anti" virus companies demand. Actually, I devote the PC to movies and TV and never do anything that requires a password except Hulu, never use email, etc., so I don't need anti viral since there's nothing to attract hackers. No problems for the two years I've been doing this. I suppose if I were to start programming again, might be advisable; but my opinion is that the anti viral companies are largely responsible for all the viruses out there. Wow, how cynical I've become.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Yeah, but certainly not user interface engineers.
    "User Interface Engineers" = Oxymoron!! Engineers = User-Brutal!! <g>

(And I *R* one!!) :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

The decades old novel, "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", explored this same topic using two friends who went on motorcycle trips together. One friend was all about the ride; the wind, the freedom etc. He took his bike regularly to the shop for maintenance. The other friend marveled at the machine itself and how it's made of subsystems like the brakes and the electrical systems. Which in turn are made up of simpler parts and so on. He kept the cables lubricated, and did his own maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Barker View Post
    The decades old novel, "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", explored this same topic using two friends who went on motorcycle trips together. One friend was all about the ride; the wind, the freedom etc. He took his bike regularly to the shop for maintenance. The other friend marveled at the machine itself and how it's made of subsystems like the brakes and the electrical systems. Which in turn are made up of simpler parts and so on. He kept the cables lubricated, and did his own maintenance.
    I might have bought this in the days of DOS/UNIX, but not Windows.