Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC (not really off topic)

Mac vs PC (not really off topic)

Background: I have been following a thread on another site where the gentleman says that he got a Stanley G12-060 as a gift, fettled it, and it works great. He then asks why would anyone want to buy a LN or LV block plane. He asks: does it work without you? I have also been reading the responses to the WoodRiver plane thread and other threads on this site about tools and what is best.

So, today I was working on a Stanley No. 6 (mainly the blade) and ended up going to scary sharp with 80 grit paper to flatten the back. That blade took longer to first time sharpen than my two LN's and the WoodRiver blades altogether. While this was occurring, I quit 3 or 4 times and started to go to the computer to order a PM-V11 blade for the plane. I decided to stick it out and did finally get the blade into useable condition (I may still get the V11 blade). During this time, I realized that there are at least two types of neanderthals - PC and Mac. Mac neanderthals like things to work or mostly work out of the box so that they can start their wood working project. PC neanderthals like to mess with their tools. They enjoy the rust hunting, the fettling, and all that goes with it. For them it is a major part of the neanderthal experience. There are of course the in betweeners that like getting the out of the box tools, but can't or don't want to spend the money on the "premiums." They usually have a mix of tools. I am afraid that after working on some of the older Stanleys and a saw, I have to place myself in the Mac, betweener catagory. I really don't enjoy the fettling that much. I checked the sole my No. 6, and it is flat to about .002-.025. I hope that will do, because otherwise I will have to get a new plane. (Hmmm)

Anyway sorry about the rant, but what do you think. Mac, PC, or betweener?
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Tweener. I've really enjoyed making a few of my own tools and would like to make some more. I also think building workbenches, and shop appliances, and/or shop storage can be enjoyable. HOWEVER, while I do get some satisfaction from the end result of making and old tool work wonderfully, I really don't enjoy tool restoration. Lapping, derusting, and restoration is tiring and its dirty and its often quite frustrating. So I guess you could call me a Mac that runs a lot of Microsoft software.

All in all when comes to using tools that aren't out of the box ready, I'd rather make my own from scratch more or less instead of restore something old (though I do love my vintage planes that I have tuned up). And after a tool build, I am always excited to get back to making furniture.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-30-2013 at 7:49 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    During this time, I realized that there are at least two types of neanderthals - PC and Mac. Mac neanderthals like things to work or mostly work out of the box so that they can start their wood working project. PC neanderthals like to mess with their tools. They enjoy the rust hunting, the fettling, and all that goes with it. For them it is a major part of the neanderthal experience.
    It could also be a choice of working with what works for the individual.

Having worked with both Macs and PCs my preference is for a Mac.

Having both fettled old planes and buying new from LN my preference if for finding something old at a good price. Of the three planes purchased from LN two of them were of models that are not available cheaper on the secondary market. The third was a #60-1/2. After a few unsuccessful attempts at bidding on ebay I decided it would be better to just spend the extra money and be done with it. It is a decision that has not been regretted.

As for the computer issue, working on a Mac is easy for me and the computer does what I want it to do. A PC seems like a constant fight to get what is wanted from it. I am not good with computer programing and it isn't something I want to do.

On the other hand, getting metal objects to give up their rust and start working is something I seem to have a knack at doing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Lloyd, in your analogy I am a mac guy. I want to spend my precious off hours making furniture, not tuning tools. The joy of fettling a tool is not a joy in and of itself to me.

That said, I have five planes that I resussicated in the last year and a half. They work and I use them. Just because you prefer one way, doesn't mean that you can't do the other.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Other than a "lapse" with the WR#4 V3, been a pc type of guy. With a shop like thisSDC15725.jpgnot much of a chioce, is there. Still get a few projects done, though...

Blog Entries
    With a shop like this...
    My shop really isn't any less of a mess. Just different locations for the piles of tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lloyd, I like your comparison to Macs and PCs. Ill borrow it (but give you credit, of course ; )

Im in between. I enjoy putting a sharp edge on my blades. Getting a little better at it each time. But I really HATE flattening the backs. The two really good, modern blades I have purchased let me get right to the honing part and hold an edge well. Ill buy more of those. But Ive really enjoyed taking two beat up old planes and restoring/fettling them with advice from the guys here. And Im still ogling that scroll saw Myk Ryan just restored. Tempting.

Fred

I don't know which one of those I am, but I don't like my tools to come with a purse, so I guess I am whatever is akin to PC and not mac

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I don't know which one of those I am, but I don't like my tools to come with a purse, so I guess I am whatever is akin to PC and not mac

David, I am inclined to think of you as a Heathkit H8.

Great analogy, Lloyd.

Regards from Perth

Derek

​Mac guy on both counts here - I don't own a purse. I do, however, have an old Union #5 that I'd love to get the wonky tote sorted on. I'll have to post a thread on it to see if I can get it up and going.
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 08-30-2013 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Union #5

You forgot one other major player. . .Linux.

Much like PC/Mac/Linux, it's all about the right tool for the job. Sometimes there is overlap, sometimes there isn't.

For example, why buy a Stanley 51 at the outrageous prices going when you can get an awesome alternative that works just as well, if not better, for less that $500 for brand new? But in the same token, why spend $500 on brand new when you can get used for less than, say, $200?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I don't really have much against the macs. Won't own one unless something changes, but I love the PC/Mac jabs and have for at least 20 years. My BIL always loves to tell me that when he sees someone using a PC, he usually assumes they are poorly educated and cheap He usually says that while I'm using a PC.

I always tell him something similarly flattering about macs. He spends about 4 times as much on computers per year as I do.

Derek - you're close, but maybe giving me too much credit. The very first computer my parents ever got my sister and I as little kids was a TRS-80 from radio shack. They didn't have any idea how to use it (neither did I) but one of their friends told them that "you should get your kids a computer", so they did.

Definitely a Mac. I prefer to woodwork than metalwork. I do like to make the odd Krenov style plane though..

Very interesting. Adam, maybe Linux should be for the hard core rust hunters and do it your selfers who make their own tools, that some of us would like to buy. It seems that most of us are hybrid users (tweeners) for one reason or another. It is nice to know, however, that I am not the only one who does not love the reconditioning of tools. I do enjoy them once they are in working order. It comes down to best use of available resources for many of us. Thank you for the replies.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I don't really have much against the macs. Won't own one unless something changes, but I love the PC/Mac jabs and have for at least 20 years. My BIL always loves to tell me that when he sees someone using a PC, he usually assumes they are poorly educated and cheap He usually says that while I'm using a PC.
    <snip>
    If he's gonna be like that, maybe you could observe that Mac users have no choice but to pay more 'cause their limited mental & intellectual resources won't permit the use of anything else. Actually I go along with using what works but when someone is being the trailing end of a horse .....
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 08-31-2013 at 9:05 AM.