Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye, Neiko Angle Drill

I have been using two of these drills from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...uck-95877.html for about two years and have had no problem. Some of the bad reviews refer to the gear head stripping out the gears but I think that might be from using it to drill with and sanding does not put as much torgue on the gears. I am not sure but mine have worked great but I am not a heavy user maybe a couple dozen bowls a year but I am a heavy handed sander.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

I had a no name version of the Neiko. It crapped out on me after about a year. I bought a Neiko off Amazon. I decided I better have a back up in case the Neiko craps out on me (then I won't be without a sander until the next one comes in). Purchased another Neiko off Amazon BUT!!!!!!!!!!! when it came in, it wasn't a Neiko brand. Not saying it is any better or worse, just saying they pulled a bait and switch on me. Probably all made in the same factory and probably the exact same thing. But if you care, beware...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Events have overtaken this, Brian, as you've bought the HF version. I love my 2-y/o Neiko, especially the 45 degree angle., which lets me get into a deep bowl easily. If it eventually strips or burns out, I'll likely get another. I've mostly heard good things about the HF angle drill, but it sands at a 90 degree angle, which I less prefer. The Neiko appears to be an inexpensive knock-off of the terrific Milwaulkee-Sioux model, which I couldn't find when I was searching for it two years ago. Don't think it's made anymore, otherwise that would be my choice, hands down, for quality.

BTW, I wouldn't rely on either the Neiko or HF for drilling much of anything, because of the polymer gears. But they seem well suited for sanding on the lathe if we don't overheat them.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 09-01-2013 at 12:15 PM.

I use a Makita I got pretty cheap on Ebay. Had a Bosch, but like the Makita a lot better. Better speed control.

I have seen mixed reviews on HF drills but have not tried them myself. I tried working with the Nieko and had no luck with durability. The drills I have are a pain for me to get but last as long or better then anything else I have used. I beleive the idea(s) to keep in mind 1. These are drills not sanders or grinders. 2. Operate with half throttle and control your speed and heat. 3. Do not allow your drill to get hot!. 4. If you have compressed air use it and help keep you DRILL cool and clean. Hope this helps, Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I have sanded one bowl with the Harbor Freight. It is quiet enough and cheap. I probably should have paid an extra 10 bucks for a 2 year in-store exchange warrantee. I did like the angle of he Neiko better than the right angle.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian,
    I too would prefer an angle drill versus a 90 degree drill. I looked at the HF drills this weekend and did not like that the trigger is right up near the chuck housing. If they had paddle switches further down the barrel I would have tried one.
    Greg

8. Try a flex drive next time

Brian, Like you I went through a couple of Neiko's before discovering the Lee Valley $35 flex drive. It attaches to your drill press and PRESTO you have quiet power sanding. The flex drive will break/wear out after a while but it is so light weight and quiet that it's worth replacing.

Must my two cents, Tom
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Events have overtaken this, Brian, as you've bought the HF version. I love my 2-y/o Neiko, especially the 45 degree angle., which lets me get into a deep bowl easily. If it eventually strips or burns out, I'll likely get another. I've mostly heard good things about the HF angle drill, but it sands at a 90 degree angle, which I less prefer. The Neiko appears to be an inexpensive knock-off of the terrific Milwaulkee-Sioux model, which I couldn't find when I was searching for it two years ago. Don't think it's made anymore, otherwise that would be my choice, hands down, for quality.

BTW, I wouldn't rely on either the Neiko or HF for drilling much of anything, because of the polymer gears. But they seem well suited for sanding on the lathe if we don't overheat them.

David
    You have to call sioux tools themselves (it's still in their listing as an available tool - 8020ES and 8030ES). Years ago, a buddy that got me into woodworking insisted I needed the clutched driver that looks like the close quarters drill, and the retailer where I got it had to order it and have it made by them (which they did, but it took months). That said, who knows what it would cost now to get the drill...$250? Not something I'd subject to the dust. I don't use my sioux driver, either, but can't bear to part with it under the assumption that at some point, i'll have a screw that only it will reach.

I'd imagine the plethorea of cheap impact drivers has pretty much killed the idea of getting a $250+ clutched driver.

I'd imagine if milwaukee has anything, it's cheaper, but made in china.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.

We bought a few of those Neiko's a few years ago to get a big project done. When they started slipping, I tore into them to figure out the problem which was a gear press fit onto a shaft. A quick hit with the TIG welder solved the problem in 10 mins/drill. They haven't been used heavily since that project but they're still going strong. Of course if you don't have a welder (or a friend with one) you'll spend as much getting it fixed it as replacing it. Then again the new one will eventually have the same problem while the fixed one won't.

-kg
    Kevin Groenke
    @personmakeobject on instagram
    Fabrication Director,UMN College of Design (retired!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    We bought a few of those Neiko's a few years ago to get a big project done. When they started slipping, I tore into them to figure out the problem which was a gear press fit onto a shaft. A quick hit with the TIG welder solved the problem in 10 mins/drill. They haven't been used heavily since that project but they're still going strong. Of course if you don't have a welder (or a friend with one) you'll spend as much getting it fixed it as replacing it. Then again the new one will eventually have the same problem while the fixed one won't.

-kg
    Kevin, this is great to know. Was there something special about the metal that required a TIG over a MIG?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    [snip]That said, who knows what it would cost now to get the drill...$250? Not something I'd subject to the dust. [snip]
    Good point!

David

Angle between drill chuck and drill body is 90 degrees on the Harbor Freight angle drill. Neiko and similar drill chuck angle to body is more open - guesstimate 135 degrees. I find larger chuck to body angle makes for easier sanding of bowl interiors. - John

I have 2 Neiko and recently picked up a Genesis 90 degree right angle drill from Amazon about same price as Neiko. I used it this morning sanding interior of a 16" NE pine bowl that had a lot of tear-out and found it was as easy to control as the Neiko. It is variable speed, reversing, and key chuck like Neiko. The right angle came in handy earlier when needing to drill some holes with limited access. The Genesis has a different sound, but so far seems OK and offers a different angle.

When I started power sanding my turnings, I bought a Sioux for around $150. It lasted about 1 1/2 years. I've been buying Neikos through Amazon ever since. I've on my third one in over 6 years (I don't turn as much as I once did) and still have two more to go before spending what I spent on the Sioux.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln