Thread: Planer advice

Planer advice

This is one of those days.Went to the woodshop to plane some oak for a TV stand.My old Detlta planer quit after a couple passes.Found the problem,burned up belt and planer shaft in bad shape.About time to buy a new one.Went to Home Depot,looked at a Rigid 13 inch 2 post,2 blade for 379.00.Supposed to be a lifetime warranty,if anything goes the matter with it just bring it in and they will give you a new one.They also had a 13 inch Dewalt,4 post design 2 speed,3 blade for 499.00.Looked at Sears they had a 13 inch Craftsman for 429.00,4 post design single speed 2 blade.Have any of you had any experience with any of these models?Or do any of you have any other reccomendations for planers in that price range?I would like some opinions before I lay out that much money.THX Dale

DeWalt 735

I bought a DeWalt 735 about a month ago for $500. The extension tables and chip collection hose/bag arrangement were about another $100. I built my own stand, with 3" locking casters for about another $40. It's noisier than I expected, but bearable with hearing protection. The (DeWalt accessory) chip collection rig catches essentially all of the chips, but some very fine dust escapes through the fabric bag, which attaches to the top of a plastic 32 gallon trash can. The planing performance is good, snipe is minimal, it's built heavy-duty, easy to use and adjust and overall I'm happy with it.

I think the new Dewalt is the latest iteration and best of all the lunch box planers with three knives, auto antisnipe etc. But the Delta 13" is also very nice and at a much better price. So it's your pick. You want the latest and best and don't mind paying the price then the Dewalt is it. But in addition to the above mentioned Delta there are other better values and other choices out there.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I am assuming this is or was a delta "lunch box planer" right? So what are you going to do with the carcass of your old planer? Did you buy this new and how much service did you get out of the old one? Sorry about the 20 questions, just trying to understand the problem better.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

The DeWalt is good but VERY NOISY -- much more than the Delta. They work a little differently but both produce good results. The noise of the DeWalt would drive me crazy, even with hearing protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin
    The DeWalt is good but VERY NOISY -- much more than the Delta. They work a little differently but both produce good results. The noise of the DeWalt would drive me crazy, even with hearing protection.
    That interesting Ellen. Even my Delta drives me nuts in my basement shop. It's the most annoying noise in the shop even with double ear protection on. It would be nice of the db reading was given for each machine. Maybe they do give that spec.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Talking planer

I have the dewalt 735 and it is a great planer. No sanding or very little sanding. I had a ridgid before this and the dewalt wins hands down. It is noisey but I wear head phones type ear protection.Mikie