Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas vs Lie Nielsen Shoulder and Router Planes

Veritas vs Lie Nielsen Shoulder and Router Planes

So I have decided to re-invest the commissions from my last project into some new tools for the chop. I have had my eyes set on a medium shoulder plane and a large router plane for a long time. As i'm browsing around I'm having a hard time trying to decide between the LN or the LV versions. I only own LN planes right now and absolutely love them so I'm having a hard time coming to grips with changing brands. The LN router plane is $140 and comes with a fence and the LV router plant is $160 with the fence. I can't see any reason not to go with the LN here. As for the shoulder plane, the LN is $195 and the LV is $190 so essentially the same. The LV "looks" like it has some better features as far as grip is concerned, however if i'm looking at the pictures right the LV looks like it has a plastic handle!?!?! This is a deal breaker for me if that is true. Any thoughts or opinions on making this decision would be greatly appreciated.

You can't go wrong with either. No there is no plastic on the Lee Valley planes, the handle on the medium shoulder plane is black cast iron.

I have the LV shoulder plane and there is nothing "non-metal" in it. Like all other LV planes I have, it's a great plane and I love it.
    Both LN and LV are the best plane manufacturers so I don't think you can go wrong with any. I have the luxury of living not too far away from a LV store and so can go and look and play with the planes before buying any, and their prices are typically better (unlike the above case) than the comparable LN version.

I like anything Lie Nielsen because you can go to one of their shows and try out a tool before you buy it. When I bought my spokeshaves, the guy spent about 30 minutes with me on sharpening and use, and if I needed it, it seemed like he was ready to take as much time as I needed.

I would suggest you consider the rabbet block plane, which carries the blade to the edge of the plane like a shoulder plane. It is small but wider than the shoulder planes, which is great for trimming tenons, but good for just about anything else that a normal block plane can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I like anything Lie Nielsen because you can go to one of their shows and try out a tool before you buy it. When I bought my spokeshaves, the guy spent about 30 minutes with me on sharpening and use, and if I needed it, it seemed like he was ready to take as much time as I needed.

I would suggest you consider the rabbet block plane, which carries the blade to the edge of the plane like a shoulder plane. It is small but wider than the shoulder planes, which is great for trimming tenons, but good for just about anything else that a normal block plane can do.
    +1 The Lie Nielsen rabbet block plane is one of my favorites.

I personally prefer the LN product line because it looks a bit more classic and it feels and works well. I bought the LV router plane and I think that it is a great tool. Handle both and make a decision, you can't lose.

I'm so envious of some of you that you can actually look at some of these things before you buy them. I live in the Albany, NY area and shockingly there isn't a single decent woodworking store within 150miles. We used to have a woodcraft but it closed many years ago and now there is nothing. I don't know why, probably OCD, but I like to stick with brands. That bit me with Powermatic and I have since strayed. I don't want to miss an opportunity here if the LV tools are nicer or have better features. And since I can't hold any of them you guys are my only resource. The main thing I vision using the shoulder plane for is trimming the cheeks of tennons, so I feel like the inherent design is more stable than a rabbet block plane. Plus I already have 2 LN block planes (non rabbet). The router plane i'm going to use for getting accurate depths in dadoes.

Don't want to throw a wrench in your thought process but have you thought of going vintage? I picked up a Stanley router plane 71½ at a flea sale and the irons from LV will fit it. You may want to check out craigslist, flea markets and rummage sales. On the shoulder planes, I have yet to see one at a flea market or rummage sale.

Sorry but no vintage for me. I think the vintage tool market is either something you either love or don't really care for... and I'm the latter. As long as I'm getting a quality tool I like buying new, and I feel like LN has the ability to give me a brand new "vintage quality" tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Kibler View Post
    The main thing I vision using the shoulder plane for is trimming the cheeks of tennons, so I feel like the inherent design is more stable than a rabbet block plane. Plus I already have 2 LN block planes (non rabbet). The router plane i'm going to use for getting accurate depths in dadoes.
    less than two hours:
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/?pg=93

I considered the shoulder plane for tenon cheeks, but the rabbet block plane is 1 3/4 and the larger shoulder plane is 1 1/4. For me it made more sense as a tenon trimmer because I have done plenty of tenons larger that 1.25, but everyone will have their opinion on this. When super sharp, it will take a nice cross grain shaving.

Blog Entries
    You best bet on a shoulder plane is to get one in your hands. I was at a show and got to try both. Both are excellent tools. The LV fit my hand better and gave me more control. The opposite may be true for you. I do enjoy the LV modern aspects such as the little set screws that act as pivot points and/or position-retention features. The pivoting handle was the deal breaker. It allows control in many odd positions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The pivoting handle was the deal breaker. It allows control in many odd positions.
    I like that feature and now that I have used it extensively I can say I wouldn't want to be without it.

I think its a Ford - Chev comparison. Lie Nielsen is a prettier product. I own 2 x Lie Nielsen planes, they are flawless and work amazingly well. I own the Lee Valley large shoulder plane as well and chose it because it seemed more advanced than the Lie Nielsen, its a spectacular tool ..

There is no bad choice between the two. Both products are functional art. Both companies will awe you with amazing customer service should you ever need help.

FWIW, I recently ordered the Veritas medium shoulder plane. I've wanted one a long time and finally pulled the trigger. I'm hoping to get it tomorrow.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I went through this about a year or so ago and ended up getting the Lee Valley medium shoulder plane. The main reason was the little handle thingy on it. As I get older and my issues with joints, that little handle makes it much easier to grip and use the plane. Granted it is not as traditional look but the functionality of it and the way it cuts is great.