Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MRI Question

As Ken said I am a registered MRI technologist with 20 years experience. His explanation is excellent and very accurate. He knows WAY more about these machines than I ever will. The questions you were asked are indeed standard safety questions we ask every patient before we scan them. A simple Xray can help determine if there is a piece of metal in your eye but it cannot tell what kind of metal. There is a documented case from the early days of MRI where someone had a piece of ferromagnetic metal in his eye, was put in the scanner and lost vision in that eye. We as techs would NEVER want that to happen. We take safety very seriously. I have people give me a hard time about it all the time. A little education goes a long way to help alleviate their concerns-usually.It has come to the point where our facility requires everyone to remove any and all body piercing no matter what they are made of. We also make everyone change their clothes into someting we are absolutley certain has no metal of any kind. These days surgical implants are tested and evaluated for MRI compatibility and most come with a wallet card you can carry that will tell the tech whether it is safe or not. Most surgical implant ARE SAFE-but not all. Mostly they just cause an artifact on the image-sort of a distortion. One of the real problems is that ANY metal can be a hazard whether it is magnetic or not. All metals are conductors of electricity and heat. All metals can have an electric current induced in them when exposed to a time-varying magnetic field and can heat up significanlty. Even tattos can be and are a real problem. Actually the induced current (Faraday's Law) is precisely how MRI works. You will be placed on what is called a coil, which is really an elaborate radio antenna which picks up the signal that is induced in your body. It's a lot more complicated than that but in a nutshell while you are in the scanner you become temporarily magnetized and you become a radio receiver and a radio transmitter.

Essentially MRI is very safe and an extremely powerful diagnostic tool. There is no high energy, ionizing radiation. It is used on tiny little babies to elderly adults an even occaisionally on pregnant women . It is one of the easiest, safest, most detailed non-invasive imaging modalities currently in use. It is, however, very noisy (hearing protection is provided), extremely boring and kind of enclosed if that bothers you. There are very good open MRI's now for the claustrophobic and larger patients.

I also grind my turning tools frequently (not frequently enough but that's another whole discussion) as well as other tools, my lawnmower blades and anything else I feel like, and am in and out of the magnetic field all day every day and have never had a problem. Safety at home is a good start for safety in an MRI. I have also been scanned MANY times as I seem to be the only willing test subject whenever we are learning a new procedure or doing some testing. Easy-peasy, for me anyway. The hardest part for many people is holding still which is critical for getting clear, sharp images.

So definitely talk to the technologist who will be doing your exam and make sure thay have answered your questions thoroughly. It's our job to make sure you are safe and comfortable during your procedure. Some people even fall asleep during their scans. To me that says they are comfortable, relaxed, and safe.

I can't claim to be perfect in my interactions with patients unfortunately. I am a lot better than I used to be. Took some effort and help to get better at it.

As to the shrapnel situation-it could go either way. If it is old and has been there a long time, it is most likey so scarred in place as to not be a problem. Remember-VA hospitals have MRI's too. Recent shrapnel or an unusual location might fly a red flag where we might want to investigate further-maybe with an Xray. Not all doctors are familiar with the limitations and realities of MRI. I could tell you stories.

Bottom line is that MRI's are safe and powerful diagnostic tools-within limits. Any questions, feel free to ask. I am also registered and licensed in Xray and CAT Scan. I hope you find this helpful.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

It's old stuff Don.

Dose # August 25, 1968
    Dose#2 May 25, 1969

I personally don't think there is any of it left since the deep stuff was debrided and most of the shallow stuff was gravel and worked its way to the surface and I yanked it out 20-30 years ago.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Don,

Thanks for all the info. I checked with the eye surgeon who did my cataracts and the thought was better safe than not -- go ahead and get the Xray of the eyes -- so they docs are (I hope) getting the approval. I also have an implant tooth with I believe a titanium post or screw holding it to the bone as well as a stainless wire holding the front five teeth together (behind the teeth) as one was getting loose. Any issues with the post or wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    It's old stuff Don.

Dose # August 25, 1968
    Dose#2 May 25, 1969

I personally don't think there is any of it left since the deep stuff was debrided and most of the shallow stuff was gravel and worked its way to the surface and I yanked it out 20-30 years ago.
    Dave,

A simple x-ray would probably show if the shrapnel still exists or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    Don,

Thanks for all the info. I checked with the eye surgeon who did my cataracts and the thought was better safe than not -- go ahead and get the Xray of the eyes -- so they docs are (I hope) getting the approval. I also have an implant tooth with I believe a titanium post or screw holding it to the bone as well as a stainless wire holding the front five teeth together (behind the teeth) as one was getting loose. Any issues with the post or wire?
    Joel,

I would ask the MRI technologists at the center. They should know.

To my knowledge, titanium isn't magnetic and the small amount of stainless wire I would not expect to be a problem.

Again....ask the techs at the MRI site. They can address those questions.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tomorrow was about 11 years ago - old thread.

Yeah - 11 year old thread.
    My experience with MRIs is - it's really, really, really difficult to stay awake while it's going on.
    Make sure you don't have any liquids for a few hours prior to having one done.
    It's impossibly hard to not move when you're doing the "pee-pee dance".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Jacksonn View Post
    Sorry it was my first interaction on forum. Next time ill be careful.
    No harm done. You aren't the first person to do this.
    I wish they would make the threads read-only after some period of time after the last post but that approach doesn't make everybody happy either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Likely a routine question.

After about 60 years of age depending on how wreak-less one was during life it becomes difficult each morning to determine if you have more aches or more pains.
    jtk
    I often wake up wondering how it was possible to hurt myself while sleeping.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My wife is a violent sleeper so I have caught quite a few elbows there. Ive had my 2 year old at the time daughter shove her finger so hard up my nose it bled for an hour. Ive been poked in the eye. I once had an 5 lb crystal bowl dropped on my face that split my face open pretty good. Its safer to sleep alone.

Blog Entries
    I also didn't notice tomorrow was eleven years ago and I've been on SMC for a long time. Seems like I would notice dates but I was too busy wondering about my gold tooth and why the mercury in my amalgams didn't cause a problem for the two MRIs I've had. Claustrophobia was a far bigger concern for me at the time but drugs take care of that nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Jacksonn View Post
    Sorry it was my first interaction on forum. Next time ill be careful.
    Well, I just read the entire thread and really enjoyed it. It’s an interesting subject so kudo’s to you. I always found the noises made by the MRI machine while having one to be very entertaining.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Well, I just read the entire thread and really enjoyed it. It’s an interesting subject so kudo’s to you. I always found the noises made by the MRI machine while having one to be very entertaining.
    The helium pump or the operation?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    A fellow Creeker, Tyler J. Howell's mother lived to be age 92 IIRC. He said her favorite saying was "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

I am finding her opinion appears to be correct.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    A fellow Creeker, Tyler J. Howell's mother lived to be age 92 IIRC. He said her favorite saying was "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

I am finding her opinion appears to be correct.
    Getting old is a b--ch! But it sure beats the alternatives.

It seems waking up in the morning some parts of me have gotten very comfortable the way they are and will put up a fight to the end if they are requested to move.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

George sounds like their is a poltergeist in your room or your family might be trying to kill you and collect the insurance.