Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MRI Question

Thanks for all the responses. At least I understand the issues now. I am going to talk to the MRI tech -- better safe than sorry!

Joel,

There really is no reason to be concerned.

The most common problem you see is people being claustrophobic. A small number of people don't realize they are claustrophobic until they go into the bore of the magnet.

It really is not a big deal.

Just answer the questions.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dan,

I suspect ferrous dust particles don't have the mass or the shape to be of concern. I suspect it would be "chips" of ferrous metal that would be of more concern.

I specialized in MR and CT scanners. My coworker locally specialized in X-ray and Ct scanners. Living in a remote area, we did this so that we each gained enough experience to be proficient in our specialized areas. That being said, I can you tell that digital x-ray detectors, certainly those used on CT scanners can image a spatial resolution in the fractions of a millimeter.
    Ken

About 7 years ago I had a need for an MRI of a deteriorating (arthritic) ankle. My doctor sent me for an MRI at a stand alone MRI clinic. After about 20 minutes of filling out medical history forms in great detail I finally was interviewed by a clinician. After viewing my questionaire she asked about the notation on "multiple schrapnel wounds X2". I answered and she told me that they would not and could not do the MRI. She further questioned me about whether my doctor knew about the old wounds. When I told her yes she got really huffy and all but called my doctor an idiot. The overall impression was that I was wasting their time and was somehow at fault. To say the least, it did not leave a positive impreesion with me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The overall impression was that I was wasting their time and was somehow at fault
    Ironically enough the "Freedom" she enjoys that allow her to have a huff were provided by those willing to endure schrapnel wounds or worse. I have zero patience for those that don't show Veterans the respect they have rightfully earned and deserve!

<fuming>

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    The overall impression was that I was wasting their time and was somehow at fault. To say the least, it did not leave a positive impreesion with me.
    I also feel a bit like I'm a pain in the XXX for the MRI center as I'm not answering the questions in a way that speeds the process along. I have had cataract surgery so I emailed the doc who thought an Xray of the eyes was not a bad idea. I think being a hobbyist woodworker the chances of having anything serious in my eyes is minimal -- I'll see what my regular doc thinks as my health insurance requires him to request the xray. In the old days the docs would talk to each other but there is no insurance billing code for that. Thank's everyone for all the information. It's very helpful to understand the issues and other folks experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    About 7 years ago I had a need for an MRI of a deteriorating (arthritic) ankle. My doctor sent me for an MRI at a stand alone MRI clinic. After about 20 minutes of filling out medical history forms in great detail I finally was interviewed by a clinician. After viewing my questionaire she asked about the notation on "multiple schrapnel wounds X2". I answered and she told me that they would not and could not do the MRI. She further questioned me about whether my doctor knew about the old wounds. When I told her yes she got really huffy and all but called my doctor an idiot. The overall impression was that I was wasting their time and was somehow at fault. To say the least, it did not leave a positive impreesion with me.
    Dave,

I suspect you saw a technologist and frankly it would very unprofessional of her to talk like that about colleague or a doctor. Even if you saw a doctor, it would be very unprofessional of her to comment in that manner about a colleague.

Yet, anybody can have a bad day and all professions have a few abrasive personalities functioning there.
    Ken

Joel,

One of the forms you sign when you go for an exam or treatment is HIPPA form. HIPPA is the patient information privacy act. This is one of the reasons that doctors don't talk as much.

My sister is a nurse-practitioner who runs a clinic in eastern Kentucky. We were discussing how HIPPA affects our professions one day. She told me this. She said "Imagine I have a patient who I determine has a heart problem and I refer that patient to a cardiologist." She said she then is forced to have the patient return to the clinic and sign a HIPPA statement allowing her to call that cardiologist about his case so she can be sure that the medications she is prescribing won't affect or be affected by prescriptions the cardiologist might prescribe for that same patient.

Let's talk about how HIPPA affected my profession. Think of a single MRI image that might have an "artifact" in it. An image artifact is an anomaly that isn't a result of the patients anatomy. In other words, it's something that is out of the ordinary. It could be caused by the patient moving, moving due to the patient breathing, it could be caused by the a problem with the MRI machine, it be an incredibly large number of things causing the problem. There are incredibly detailed troubleshooting programs, and diagnostic procedures that can involve literally days of troubleshooting an image artifact. So let's say that I find the artifact on only 1 image of several hundred images in a patient series of an entire exam. Often I can upload that image to corporate headquarters. There support engineers and design engineers can view the image to provide opinions of possible causes and resolutions. Because of HIPPA, we had to create special software that would take an image, strip it of any patient information and assign it a unique ID number before I could transmit it to corporate headquarters for analysis. Every year I had to take a refresher course in how to handle patient images to meet HIPPA regulations.

Beyond that GPs, FPs, and FNPs see more patients today in a given work day than they have done in the past. There is a huge shortage of Family Practitioners or General Practitioners and thus Family Nurse Practitioners are becoming more prevalent.
    Ken

Actually, I think the woman was irritated for a couple of reasons. First, I was the first appointment of the morning. Second, this was a "for profit" stand alone MRI center not affiliated with any hospital and they didn't get any billing out of me or my insurance. The woman was not an MD, but probably a technician/ admin type. Given the price of MRIs, this had the potential of making or breaking the day's profitability and I'm sure given her overall attitude set her off on the wrong foot (as it were). Some people just don't belong in public contact jobs.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-03-2013 at 3:13 PM. Reason: lousy typing skills
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

You are absolutely correct Dave! .....some people shouldn't be interfacing with the public or don't realize how their temperament can affect the public view of their employer.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-03-2013 at 3:03 PM.
    Ken

I know this is way off topic but I find it very interesting that Ken used to install MRI machines. This is just one of dozens of examples of people about whom I have read on these forums that have had or do have interesting jobs other than woodworking. What a diverse and interesting community!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Joel,

There is a huge shortage of Family Practitioners or General Practitioners and thus Family Nurse Practitioners are becoming more prevalent.
    One of the best "docs" I've dealt with is a Nurse Practitioner near our vacation house. We could use a few more like him!

Art we are a diverse group......from all walks of life........from a machinist who worked on rockets until he retired.....engineers.....lawyers.....doctors..... ...skilled laborers.....incredibly talent craftsman like Richard Wolfe, true artists..... and others too numerous to mention and my apologies I don't mean to slight anybody, any occupation, any profession...

We come together to civilly share information though we are all woodworkers at all different levels.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-03-2013 at 7:24 PM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    One of the best "docs" I've dealt with is a Nurse Practitioner near our vacation house. We could use a few more like him!
    Joel,

I worked with radiologists and surgeons for 34 years.

When I have a serious illness, my sister, a nurse-practitioner, is one of the first people with whom I want to talk.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 09-03-2013 at 6:44 PM.
    Ken

I also feel a bit like I'm a pain in the XXX for the MRI center as I'm not answering the questions in a way that speeds the process along.
    Look at it another way Joel, would it be right for me to get knarly with a customer of mine because they don't quite understand third point advanced nuclear physics when I ask them about the job they are wanting?

Good manners never cost anybody a penny, to me if a customer of mine is uncomfortable in any way, I have failed, if one of my staff made them uncomfortable, I have failed by not giving that staff member enough training or guidance.

If giving the customer advice or discussing their requirements takes too long to be profitable...I have failed as my figures were wrong to start with.

Customers in any job are not always right, sometimes a little bit of assistance or guidance goes a long way never forgetting please and thank you never cost anybody a dime.

Ken,
    Thanks for the info, I love hearing about things I have no experience of, it genuinely does brighten the day.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !